Skip to content

Other ways to search: Events Calendar | UTHSC News

Frequently Asked Questions

Where is the Department located?

  • ASP, while administered by the UTHSC College of Health Professions in Memphis, is physically located in Knoxville, Tennessee.
  • All ASP faculty, classes, and campus clinics are located on the UT Knoxville campus.
  • Other UTHSC degree programs located in Knoxville include the Graduate School of Medicine, the College of Pharmacy, and portions of the College of Dentistry.

Is a tuition waiver provided?

  • Yes. All of our PhD students currently receive a full tuition waiver in return for working a 20-hour per week graduate assistantship. The graduate assistantship also carries with it a stipend that is paid by our department.
  • Although a tuition waiver is provided, the university does require students to pay various fees that are not part of tuition. In 2017, the fees were approximately $1000. Questions regarding program-specific tuition and fees should be addressed to the UTHSC’s Bursar’s Office, 901.448.5550.

What is the GRE or TOEFL code for UTHSC?

  • 1850

Can students get certified as SLPs or Audiologists while doing their PhD?

  • Students who wish to be certified in Audiology should complete their clinical work in the AuD program before applying to transfer to the PhD program.
  • Students wishing to be certified as SLPs may do so at the end of their PhD program if and only if they are making outstanding progress in their research. Please note, however, that tuition for clinical courses is NOT covered by the tuition waiver since those courses are not part of the PhD program.

Is there an application fee?

  • There is no application fee for the PhD in Speech and Hearing Sciences.

Are part-time students accepted?

  • No. All PhD students are required to be full-time students who are continuously enrolled for 12 months out of the year.

Do I need to be in Knoxville to complete the program requirements?

  • Yes, students are required to be in residence in Knoxville to complete the majority of program requirements.  There are no on-line/distance learning courses available for these degree programs.
  • Externship experiences may be in Knoxville or at any program-approved site in the United States.

Where can I find the academic calendar?

Are students required to carry health insurance while in the program?

  • All UTHSC students must maintain health insurance coverage as a condition of enrollment.  For details, visit the Student Health Insurance page.
  • If an ASP student does not have, or fails to show proof of, current health insurance, they will be enrolled in University Student Health Insurance via UTHSC.  The student will be billed a Health Service Fee payable each term. See the fee schedule for more information.
  • While enrolled at ASP, you will have access to healthcare at UTK Student Health Services.
Jun 3, 2024