Skip to content

Other ways to search: Events Calendar | UTHSC News

Students - FAQs

To what university does the Department of Audiology and Speech Pathology belong?

  • The Department of ASP is administered by the College of Health Professions at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center (UTHSC).
  • Students majoring in undergraduate or graduate level programs in audiology and/or speech pathology enroll in their coursework via UTHSC Banner and earn their degrees from UTHSC.
  • The majority of UTHSC degree programs are located in Memphis, but there are UTHSC programs across the state of Tennessee, including ours.

Where is the Department located?

  • ASP, while administered by the UTHSC College of Health Professions in Memphis, is physically located in Knoxville, Tennessee.
  • All ASP faculty, classes, and campus clinics are located on the UT Knoxville campus.
  • Program-approved externship experiences for the last semester of the MS SLP program and the last three semesters of the AuD program may be located anywhere in the United States.
  • Other UTHSC degree programs located in Knoxville include the Graduate School of Medicine, the College of Pharmacy, and portions of the College of Dentistry.

As a UTHSC student, do I have the same privileges as UT-Knoxville (UTK) students?

  • ASP students are eligible for all services offered to UTK students.
  • ASP students have access to a Vol Card, athletic events, health services, student recreation centers, libraries, parking, etc. on the UTK campus - just as if they were a registered student at UTK.

How do I apply to your program?

  • For the application process, please visit the Degree Programs section of the website and choose the program in question.

How long will it take to complete my degree?

  • Typically, the Au.D. and Ph.D. degrees are completed in 4 years. The M.S. program in SLP is 3 years long but, prior to enrollment in the graduate program, if you already have taken the majority of the courses required in the first year of the graduate program, you have the opportunity to waive the first 3 semesters of coursework and it will take you 2 years to complete your degree.

Can I take courses on-line?

  • Not at this time.

How is federal financial aid handled?

  • To determine eligibility for federal financial aid (e.g., federal student loans), students should complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid-FAFSA application, selecting UTHSC (code #: 006725) as the as the first school choice.  The FAFSA typically becomes available on October 1 for the next school year.
  • DO NOT select UTK as the first school choice or your federal financial aid will be delayed.
  • All sources of financial aid i.e., Pell Grant, student loans, work-study, Hope Scholarship and TSAA grant for those ASP students who are eligible is awarded through UTHSC.
  • Please Note:  At the designated time before classes begin, financial aid will be applied to students’ accounts for payment of tuition/fees.  Based on federal regulations, student aid can only be applied a few days before classes begin.
  • Work-study positions within the Department are available for students who have applied for, and are eligible for, federal financial aid.  These positions are assigned by the chair of ASP on a first-come, first-serve basis at the start of each academic year and typically involve up to 10 hours of work/week within the Department.
  • Questions regarding financial aid should be addressed to Gloria Dobbs, Office of Financial Aid, UTHSC, 901-448-5264.


May 26, 2022