Skip to content

Other ways to search: Events Calendar | UTHSC News

Sexual Assault

If a sexual assault should occur, the following information will be of assistance to you.

The definition of sexual assault includes rape, fondling, exposure to or forced participation in pornography, exhibitionism, and attempted rapes.

What to do if you have been sexually assaulted:

  1. Go to a safe place and seek campus assistance through:
    University Health 901.448.5630
    after 5:00 pm 901.541.5654
    Student Behavioral Health 901.448.5630
    Campus Police 901.448.4444
    Memphis Sexual Assault Resource Center (MSARC) 901.272.2020
    Off Campus Memphis Police Department 911
  2. Do NOT take a shower, douche or change clothes.
  3. You must make an informed decision of whether or not to report the assault.
  • If you report a sexual assault to campus administration, UTHSC Police or the Memphis Police Department, such a report will become public record

Reporting a sexual assault:

  • will allow the police to assist the victim in obtaining medical services
  • assures the victim immediate safety
  • allows the police to pursue the perpetrator more efficiently
  • allows police to gather physical evidence from the assault
  • provides increased security for others on campus (NOTE: Reporting an incident is a separate step from choosing to prosecute. When you file a report, you are not obligated to continue with legal proceedings or university disciplinary action.)

If you decide not to report the incident, several options are available to meet your medical and emotional needs:

  • University Health Services can be of service by calling 901.448.5630 (daytime) or 901.541.5654 (evening/weekends).
  • Student Behavioral Health at 901.448.5630
  • Memphis Sexual Assault Resource Center (MSARC) at 901.272.2020 from 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
  • Or you may choose to consult a private physician or go to an emergency department of your choice. However, emergency departments are required to report aggravated assaults.**

If you choose to report a sexual assault: Call UT Police who will assist in providing security for the victim, will contact Student Behavioral Health and make arrangements to be seen at the MSARC. A sexual assault victim should seek medical treatment and/or counseling to:

  • minimize emotional and physical trauma
  • facilitate collection of evidence
  • test for sexually transmitted diseases
  • obtain treatment of possible injuries
  • provide a pregnancy prophylaxis if desired

Services provided through MSARC:

  • emotional, legal and medical support
  • collection of physical and material evidencel
  • emotional support to family
  • members oequitable access to the criminal justice system
  • court escort service

Student Behavioral Health Services can provide emotional support for the victim as well as maintain confidentiality. A counselor is available at all times. Medical and psychological follow-up is available as long as needed.

**An aggravated assault is defined as a sexual assault involving a weapon.

For the University policies on sexual assault follow the Centerscope link and down load the Microsoft version of the Centerscope and look at Page 31.

May 26, 2022