Skip to content

Other ways to search: Events Calendar | UTHSC News

Procurement Frequently Asked Questions

When is it appropriate to use a Procurement Card?
A University procurement card is the preferred method to make purchases costing less than $10,000.

NOTE: Any equipment considered capital equipment, equipment with a cost greater than $5,000 and a useful life greater than one year, cannot be purchased on procurement cards.

For additional restrictions and limitations on procurement card usage, see FI0530 - Procurement Care Policy.
When is a requisition in UT Market Place required?
  • Generally, a requisition is required to be entered in UT Market Place for purchases of $10,000 and above that are not covered under a framework order with a contracted vendor.
  • Additionally, a framework requisition must be entered in UT Market Place when repetitive purchases from a single vendor are expected to exceed $10,000 per year.
  • A requisition must be entered in UT Market Place in situations where a vendor requires a hard copy purchase order for purchases less than $10,000.
May I accept a gift or gratuity from a supplier?
University personnel who are connected in any way with requisitioning or procuring equipment, supplies, and services used by the university shall NOT accept personal gifts, gratuities, or kickbacks (as defined by Federal Acquisition Regulation 52.203-7).
How do I obtain access to UT Market Place for purchasing activities? 
Your supervisor should send an email to Charles Cossar in Finance to request appropriate access for you.

Please send an email to Donna Daniel in Procurement Services regarding UT Market Place and Requisition Training.
How do I renew my copier rental framework order?
Send an email to Dianne Holmes in Purchasing Services to request renewal.
How can I access a full list of G/L codes? 
Refer to the list of Expense General Ledger Account Definitions maintained by the Controller's Office.
When are competitive bids required and who do I contact? 
Competitive bids are generally required for purchases of $10,000 and above that are not covered under a University or State contract. In some cases, purchases can be made on a non-competitive basis.

Contact Procurement Services at 901.448.5594 for guidance.
How do I cancel or change a purchase order?
Refer to the UTHSC Request PO Change or Cancellation page for detailed instructions.
When is it appropriate to use a Non-Competitive Justification (NCJ) form?
For purchases of goods or services totaling $10,000 and above that are only available from one source. Refer to Fiscal Policy - FI0405 - Procurement for additional guidance.
What is the definition of sensitive minor equipment?
These are equipment items of a movable nature which are particularly vulnerable to theft and have a cost or fair value (for donated items only) between $1000 and $4,999.99.

For a listing of equipment falling in this category, see Fiscal Policy - FI0605 (Equipment)
 When do I need to create an asset number(s) in IRIS?
For equipment costing between $1,000 and $4,999.99 that is classified as sensitive minor equipment and all equipment and software costing $5,000 and above.

See Fiscal Policy - FI0605 (Equipment)  for additional guidance.
Under what circumstances should I pay sales or use tax? 
As a state institution, the University is exempt from paying Tennessee sales tax. Vendors should be advised of the University's exempt status and asked to omit sales tax charges from all purchases billed to the University.

A Tennessee Department of Revenue Certificate of Exemption (UT Administrative Portal login required to view document) should be given to vendors when such purchases are made.

The Controller's Office also maintains certificates of exemption for purchases made in certain other states, view the State Sales & Use Tax Exemptions page for details.
What is the procedure for sending equipment to Surplus?
Complete a UTHSC Surplus Property Transaction Form, obtain the signature of your department business manager then follow instructions on the form for submittal to Surplus Property.
What products are available from General Stores?
General Stores stocks and sells a wide variety of research products and chemicals. General Stores is also the designated source for copy paper.
How do I get training for requisition processing in UT Market Place?
Please send an email to Donna Daniel in Procurement Services regarding UT Market Place and Requisition Training. 
Where can I find a list of IRIS forms that includes definitions?
Log onto the UT Administrative Portal and click on the Forms link on the left side of the page.
May 26, 2022