Students with documented disabilities who wish to request accommodations must self-identify by registering with SASSI and submitting documentation. SASSI engages in an interactive process and reviews requests for accommodations on an individual basis. In determining eligibility for accommodations, SASSI considers each individual’s condition, history, request and the essential functions (technical standards) of the academic program.
To request accommodations due to a disability, students must complete the process below.
- Student completes and submits Self-Disclosure and Accommodation Request Forms.
- Student submits documentation that meets the documentation guidelines.
- Disability Coordinator sends receipt to the student’s UTHSC email verifying the information we have received and the next steps, which include the review process and instructions for arranging the intake interview with the Disability Consultant.
- Student arranges intake interview with Disability Consultant.
- Documentation is reviewed and reasonable accommodations are determined. Students will be sent an email from the Disability Coordinator regarding accommodation status and steps for implementation of approved accommodations.
Important Information About Applying for Services
- Accommodations are not retroactive. If you are not sure if you'll need accommodations, it is better to have them in place should the need occur.
- Accommodations can be requested at any point during the semester. However, it does take time to process the request and review documentation to determine the provision of accommodations. Don't wait until your test is days away. Students should allow at least 10 - 15 business days for documentation to be reviewed.
- A prior history of accommodations in a previous academic environment is not a guarantee that accommodations would be granted. A prior history of accommodations without a demonstration of a current need does not in itself warrant the provision of similar accommodations.
- For students that have a disability but do not wish to seek accommodations, we still encourage you to register with our office.
- Self-disclosure of a disability is completely voluntary; however, students wishing to request accommodations must self-disclose their disability and make a direct request for accommodations in SASSI.
- All information is confidential in SASSI. Written consent by the student would be needed for information to be released.
- Students must be officially approved for accommodations in order for SASSI to provide accommodations.
- An approved accommodation(s) for a test is not a guarantee that an accommodation would be approved on clinicals/rotations.
- An approved accommodation at UTHSC is not a guarantee that an accommodation(s) would be granted on board exams.
Support Services and Inclusion
8 S. Dunlap GEB, Rm BB9
Memphis, TN 38163