Neuroscience Institute Fellowships for
Undergraduate Research Awarded
The UT Neuroscience Institute awarded the 2013-2014 Merit Fellowships for Undergraduate Neuroscience Research to four area students, who worked in UTHSC labs this summer. From Christian Brother's University: Stephanie Allen, Kevin Pham and from Rhodes University: Gy Won Choi, Morgan Cantor, were selected by a committee at their respective institutions based on their academic excellence and strong interest in neuroscience. Stephanie worked with Dr. Kanwaljeet JS Anand, M.D., Ph.D. in Pediatrics at LeBonheur Children's Medical Center, who's research is in understanding neonatal pain and stress. She presented her research project at the Alpha Chi National Honor Society Conference in St. Louis and she won First Prize She has also gained co-authorship on two publications from her work over the summer. Kevin worked with Dr. Kristen O'Connell, Ph.D. in Physiology, who's research involves neural pathways regulating food intake and energy balance. Gy Won Choi worked with Dr. Anton Reiner, Ph.D. in Anatomy and Neurobiology, whose research focuses on the organization, function, and diseases of the basal ganglia and eye as well as traumatic brain injuries. Morgan worked with Dr. Kathryn McVicar, M.D., in Neurology and Pediatrics, who studies language regression, autism, epilepsy, and immunology.
- 2012-2013: Kate Stewart, Rhodes College - Dr. Max Fletcher
- 2012-2013: Lydia Hyatt, Christian Brothers University - Dr. Scott Heldt
- 2012-2013: Colleen Valdez, Christian Brothers University - Dr. Lawrence Reiter
- 2011-2012: Ashley Ladd, Rhodes College - Dr. Lawrence Reiter
- 2011-2012: Catherine Gluszek, Christian Brothers - Dr. Scott Heldt
- 2011-2012: Allison Umfress, Duke University - Dr. Alessandro Iannaccone
- 2010-2011: Rachel Chassen, of Rhodes College - Dr. Lawrence Reiter
- 2010-2011: Rachael Haag, of Christian Brothers University - Dr. Tonia Rex
- 2010-2011: Christine Petrin, of Barnard College of Columbia University - Dr. Charles Leffler
- 2009-2010: Cameron Kasmai, Christian Brothers University - Dr. Detlef Heck
- 2009-2010: Danielle Helton, Baylor University - Dr. John Boughter
- 2009-2010: Leslie Baker, Rhodes College - Dr. Fu-Ming Zhou
- 2008-2009: Michael Antone, Christian Borthers University - Dr. Kristin Hamre
- 2008-2009: Daniel Wilkinson, Rhodes College - Dr. Charles Leffler
- 2008-2009: Lorna Wilkes, Christian Brothers University - Dr. Robert Foehring
- 2007-2008: Indre Augustinaite, Christian Brothers University - Dr. Matt Ennis
- 2007-2008: Joel Chasan, Rhodes College - Dr. Shannon Matta
- 2006-2007: Alan Newton, Christian Brothers University - Dr. Lawrence Reiter
- 2006-2007: Teresa Bell, Rhodes College - Dr. Matt Ennis
Catherine Gluszek, Christian Brothers University receiving the The Brother Dominic Dunn Award
This award is presented annually by the faculty of the School of Sciences to the outstanding graduating senior with a major in science or mathematics. The award is given in the memory of Brother Dominic Dunn, F.S.C., to the graduate giving strong evidence of academic excellence and of service to the University and/or the community. Presented at the Student Research Poster Session. Established in 1992.
University of Tennessee Health Science Center
875 Monroe Ave, Suite 426
Memphis, TN 38163
Phone: (901) 448-5960
Fax: (901) 448-4685
426 Wittenborg Anatomy Building
William E. Armstrong, Ph.D.
Anton J. Reiner, Ph.D.
Administrative Services Assistant:
Brandy Fleming, M.S.