Kristin Hamre, Ph.D.
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology
The University of Tennessee Health Science Center
855 Monroe Avenue, Suite 515
Memphis, TN 38163
Phone: (901) 448-2643
Fax: (901) 448-7193
Lab: 220 Wittenborg Anatomy Building
Email: Kristin Hamre
- Ph.D. Institution: Department of Anatomy, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- Postdoctoral: Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, TN (laboratory of Dr. Daniel Goldowitz)
There are 2 major foci of my research, both centered on the interaction between genetics and the nervous system. The first major focus is centered on examining the relationship between genetics and several ethanol-related phenotypes in both the developing embryo and the adult animal. This research uses both strategies that attempt to identify the critical genes in mediating a phenotype as well as the opposite strategy of determining the role of a specific gene in a phenotype using mutant mice. Both behavioral and anatomic phenotypes (e.g. cell death markers) are examined. The second major focus is examining how specific genes impact the development of various neuronal populations. In this approach the effect of a mutated gene, either in naturally-occurring or induced mutations, on the morphology of a specific structure or cell type is examined.
- Ha T, Swanson D, Larouche M, Glenn R, Weeden D, Zhang P, Hamre K, Langston M, Phillips C, Song M, Ouyang Z, Chesler E, Duvvurru S, Yordanova R, Cui Y, Campbell K, Ricker G, Phillips C, Homayouni R, Goldowitz D. CbGRiTS: cerebellar gene regulation in time and space. Dev Biol. 2015 Jan 1;397(1):18-30. doi: 10.1016/j.ydbio.2014.09.032. Epub 2014 Oct 23. PubMed PMID: 25446528.
- Goldowitz D, Lussier AA, Boyle JK, Wong K, Lattimer SL, Dubose C, Lu L, Kobor MS, Hamre KM. Molecular pathways underpinning ethanol-induced neurodegeneration. Front Genet. 2014 Jul 15;5:203. doi: 10.3389/fgene.2014.00203. eCollection 2014. PubMed PMID: 25076964; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4097813.
- Wang LS, Jiao Y, Huang Y, Liu XY, Gibson G, Bennett B, Hamre KM, Li DW, Zhao HY, Gelernter J, Kranzler HR, Farrer LA, Lu L, Wang YJ, Gu WK. Critical evaluation of transcription factor Atf2 as a candidate modulator of alcohol preference in mouse and human populations. Genet Mol Res. 2013 Nov 26;12(4):5992-6005. doi: 10.4238/2013.November.26.9. PubMed PMID: 24338393; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4108070.
- DuBose CS, Chesler EJ, Goldowitz D, Hamre KM. Use of the expanded panel of BXD mice narrow QTL regions in ethanol-induced locomotor activation and motor incoordination. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2013 Jan;37(1):170-83. doi: 10.1111/j.1530-0277.2012.01865.x. PubMed PMID: 23289978.
- Liu L, Hamre KM, Goldowitz D. Kainic acid-induced neuronal degeneration in hippocampal pyramidal neurons is driven by both intrinsic and extrinsic factors: analysis of FVB/N↔C57BL/6 chimeras. J Neurosci. 2012 Aug 29;32(35):12093-101. doi: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.6478-11.2012. PubMed PMID: 22933793.
- Du X, Elberger AJ, Matthews DB, Hamre KM. Heterozygous deletion of NR1 subunit of the NMDA receptor alters ethanol-related behaviors and regional expression of NR2 subunits in the brain. Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2012 Jan-Feb;34(1):177-86. doi: 10.1016/j.ntt.2011.09.001. Epub 2011 Sep 14. PubMed PMID: 21945132.