Skip to content

Other ways to search: Events Calendar | UTHSC News

Transferring a Grant

When a PI transfers from one U.S. research institution to another, sponsored projects may also be transferred. However, the final decision on transfer is left to the discretion of the sponsor. Generally, grants are eligible for transfer except under the following circumstances:

  • The grant is in the last six (6) months of the funding period.
  • The award was based primarily upon facilities or resources unique to the original recipient institution.
  • The institution to which the PI is transferring is ineligible to receive funds.

Follow these steps when a PI transfers to another U.S. institution and wishes to transfer grant funds:

PHS Grants

In order to transfer PHS (e.g., NIH) grant (whether pending or funded), the PI must work with the original recipient institution to relinquish the grant. Generally, for a funded grant, a "Change of Institution" is initiated in eRA Commons by the signing official of the recipient institution and will require the following information:

  • Grant # (e.g., R01 AI 123456)
  • Name of the new institution
  • Contact e-mail for the new institution
  • Termination date
  • Direct and Indirect Costs transferring
  • Equipment transferring with the grant
  • For funded grants, the grant must also be closed out at the original recipient institution; so PIs should work with the original institution to complete that process.

A "new" grant application must be submitted through the new institution, via a Type 7 grant application. At UTHSC, the new application will be submitted via Evisions/Cayuse 424 and SP unless the grants specialist or program officer requests a different means of submission. 

PIs transferring grants in to UTHSC should work with their departmental business office to prepare the UT budget and other forms and route it to GRA via SP for submission to the sponsor.

For additional questions, contact or call (901) 448-5587.

Non-PHS Grants

For other types of grants, the PI should bring a copy of the original grant application and the notice of award to the departmental business manager, who will work with GRA to determine steps needed to transfer the grant. Generally, a letter requesting the transfer should be prepared and should include the following:

  • Name of PI
  • Title and number of grant
  • Name of original institution
  • Name of new institution
  • Reason for transfer
  • Proposed date of transfer
  • Funding amount and list of equipment to be transferred
  • Request for approval of the transfer
  • Signatures of PI and Institutional Official

For grants being transferred in to UTHSC, this information will need to be routed to GRA via SP.


Generally, contracts do not transfer from one institution to another. In some cases, if the PI wishes to continue the project at the new institution, he or she may request to terminate the contract at the original institution and enter into a new agreement at the new institution. PIs should work with the GRA and SPA offices at the respective institutions, as well as the departmental business manager regarding contracts.

Jun 22, 2023