Skip to content

Other ways to search: Events Calendar | UTHSC News

International Travel Registration Program

To better prepare for emergencies and provide assistance to the members of the UTHSC community traveling abroad, UTHSC requires all UTHSC travelers on official UTHSC business to complete a Travel Information Registration form prior to departure. This registration will enable UTHSC to communicate with faculty, staff, students, postdocs, residents and fellows in the event of an emergency. Registration will also allow travelers to receive medical and emergency assistance from International SOS, a medical and travel security service company.

Who is Required to Register?

  • Faculty/Staff: All faculty and staff traveling abroad using UTHSC funds or on UTHSC business without University funds (example: a faculty member is invited to give a key-note address at a conference and his/her costs are fully paid by the conference).
  • Students/Postdocs/Residents/Fellows: All students, postdocs, medical residents and clinical fellows traveling abroad to participate in official UTHSC-sponsored programs (including research, for-credit electives, travel to conferences and non-credit educational activities sponsored by UTHSC).
All travelers to U.S. territories are also required to register. These territories include Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, and Northern Mariana Islands. Travel to countries bordering the U.S., Canada and Mexico, is international travel and requires compliance with this registration program.

Individuals traveling for solely personal reasons (vacation, medical mission trips, etc.) are not eligible for coverage through this program.

UTHSC officially discourages international travel, by faculty/staff/students when on official university business, to destinations that are subject to a U.S. Department of State Travel Warning and/or Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Level 3 Warning.

How to Register

  • Complete the online Travel Information Registration to provide information about your travel plans and contact information in the destination country(ies) for UTHSC administration use if emergencies arise either in the U.S. or in the country(ies) visited. This step will confirm that you can access referral services from International SOS.

Helpful Links and Information

Tips for your Trip Abroad

Register with the U.S. State Department
We strongly advise you also to register with the United States Department of State. This can be done online: In the event that issues affecting the safety of U.S. citizens unexpectedly arise, the U.S. DOS needs up-to-date contact information for visitors in order to disseminate safety information, evacuation orders or other updated travel warnings.

Check for Travel Warnings
Travelers must be proactive and vigilant to ensure their own health and safety, recognizing that their travel destination may be subject to political upheavals, weather-related disruptions and/or health-related emergencies. Note that UTHSC officially discourages international travel, by faculty/staff/students when on official university business, to destinations that are subject to a U.S. Department of State Travel Warning and/or Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Level 3 Warning.

Prior to departure, travelers are advised to monitor the world situation through available channels, such as the U.S. State Department's Bureau of Consular Affairs website.

Other useful links include:

Travel Documents


  • All international travelers are required to have an official passport in order to travel outside the United States. All airlines are required to confirm that travelers have a valid passport prior to departure; this passport will be checked each time you enter a foreign country (only once while traveling in Eurozone countries), AND to return to the United States.
  • To obtain or renew a U.S. passport visit the Department of State website.
  • To obtain or renew a non-U.S. passport, contact your country's embassy in the U.S.
  • Once you have your passport, make copies or scan the page with your picture and passport number on it. Leave one at home with someone you trust and carry the other copy with you separate from your passport. You may also want to store a copy in a strongly encrypted cloud file. If you lose your passport, having a copy will make it easier to get a replacement from the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
  • Travelers who are not U.S. citizens or green card holders may be subject to additional restrictions on travel depending on their visa status – the Office of International Affairs posts additional advisories online for visa holders. International Affairs can also be contacted directly by email ( or by phone (901.448.8484).


  • Some countries also require that travelers obtain a visa (e.g. official permission to visit for a specific purpose and time) prior to entry. Obtaining a visa may require a fee and/or an in-person interview, particularly for long-term stays. In other cases, you may be able to apply online. To learn about the requirements for your host country and any countries you might visit while abroad, go to the U.S. Department of State website.
  • The exact process for applying for a visa will vary depending upon the type of visa and the country. In general, to apply for a visa you will send your actual passport (not a copy), the completed visa application, and any other required documentation via certified mail, UPS, or FedEx (the consulate will usually indicate a preference) along with a return, self-addressed, pre-paid envelope to the consular office of the country you plan to visit. The consulate will add the visa to your passport and return it to you. You generally apply to the consulate that serves the state of your permanent residence. For a Schengen visa to Europe, you should apply at the consulate of the country you will first visit.
  • Visa Processing Time: Obtaining a visa could take as long as one to three months so begin early. You will not be able to apply for the visa until you are fully accepted by your host institution or program (e.g. the application may require proof that you have been invited to that country for a specific purpose). The embassy/consulate website or documentation that accompanies your visa application will usually indicate how long it will take to process the visa.


Travelers should review their immunization status for various diseases prior to travel. University Health Services in Memphis offers a travel clinic that can provide travel vaccinations as well as information on health insurance overseas. Similar services are available to students in Knoxville (through the UTK student health services) and in Nashville (through the Vanderbilt travel clinic). Note, however, that there may be fees for certain immunizations. Note also that some immunizations require time for maximum effectiveness.

How to Access International SOS Travel Services
  • Go to the UT Membership Portal for key information and to download the digital membership ID card. International SOS will give expert advice to international travelers to take care of any medical or security issue that will be needed while abroad. Simply carry the International SOSmember ID and download the International SOS Assistance App from the Membership Portal to use this complimentary service. Both contain the membership number and key phone numbers along with the International SOS website address ( [Note: Use your NetID email address when signing up.]

    The University of Tennessee and UTHSC Membership Number is: 11BCAS080063

International SOS should be contacted directly if you require a referral for medical services.  The UTHSC membership number is 11BCAS080063.

If there is a serious emergency that would involve evacuation for medical reasons, civil unrest or climatic event, contact International SOS immediately. Then contact UTHSC Campus Police, 901.448.4444, to make us aware of the situation. Depending on the nature and acuity of the emergency, a UTHSC official may then authorize International SOS to proceed with the appropriate evacuation/medical services.

Feb 1, 2024