Skip to content

Other ways to search: Events Calendar | UTHSC News

Exposure Assessment

If you have been exposed to a hazardous chemical, biological or radiological agent you must notify your supervisor immediately. The claim must also be reported to Corvel (1-866-245-8588) using the nurse triage line where you can be directed to medical care if needed.

Employees or their supervisors that have concerns about employee exposures to chemicals or other hazardous agents should contact the Office of Research Safety Affairs (901-448-6114). The Office of Research Safety Affairs will work to characterize employee exposures to hazardous agents and prescribe an appropriate set of controls (engineering controls, work practices, PPE) to ensure that personnel exposure does not exceed the occupational exposure limit.

Sometimes exposure assessment is necessary to comply with safety regulations. In such cases, the Office of Research Safety Affairs may contact work area supervisors to schedule an assessment of chemical handling practices and exposure scenarios. These exposure assessments will be documented with records retained by the Office of Research Safety Affairs.

Examples of chemicals that may require exposure assessment include:

  • Formaldehyde or formalin
  • Waste anesthetic gas (e.g. isoflurane)
  • Methylene Chloride
  • Hexane
  • Methyl methacrylate
  • Other volatile organic compounds (VOCs)
  • Lead
  • Chromium
  • Mercury

Employees that may be pregnant or who may become pregnant may be particularly concerned about exposure to hazardous chemicals. Sometimes it may be possible for their supervisor to assign them to job responsibilities that decrease the potential for exposure to hazardous chemicals. However, this may not always be the case. In such situations, concerned employees are encouraged to contact the Office of Research Safety Affairs for a review of work practices and controls.

May 26, 2022