VolShare to be Retired
The technology used to store departmental and individual documents and data is retiring. You may know this as VolShare, MyDrive, a departmental drive, or Isilon.
UTHSC sees this as an opportunity to move to the next generation of storage, with improved remote accessibility, security, and collaboration capabilities.
Microsoft OneDrive and SharePoint, as well as OnBase by Hyland are the campus solutions for document management! These tools provide:
- SECURITY: Ensure your documents are safe, even if a device is lost, stolen, or damaged. All are HIPAA and FERPA compliant.
- AVAILABILITY: Reach your data from anywhere on any device.
- SUPPORT: Take advantage of onsite assistance and training.
- NO COST TO YOU: Maximize ROI by using existing software solutions.
During 2021, ITS will be working with individuals and departments to migrate your data and documents to these document management solutions. Stay tuned for more information or contact AppSupport@uthsc.edu to schedule a consultation.
What Can You Do with OneDrive?
Microsoft OneDrive is a great tool for your document storage needs. You can move existing documents from your hard drive or MyDrive to OneDrive. This enables you to access your documents remotely from any device without a VPN connection.
Because OneDrive is cloud-based, no Virtual Private Network (VPN) is needed to access your documents. In addition, OneDrive has improved version history, accessibility, and security.
Other benefits of OneDrive:
- Provides private document storage to all UTHSC faculty, students and staff
- Replaces the need for Dropbox for many users
- Provides 5 terabyte of space – which is a LOT!
- Designed to work very well with other Microsoft 365 tools
- Uses the same functions (copy, paste, etc.) that you are familiar with from other Microsoft tools
- Provides up to 500 versions in Version History that can be restored at any time
Note: If you are moving documents off your hard drive or MyDrive network drive, you will have to copy to OneDrive and then delete from the original location. Be sure to verify that all documents moved successfully before deleting.
Now you are ready to switch to using OneDrive instead of your hard drive or MyDrive network drive for document storage.
This OneDrive Overview will guide you. Or, visit the UTHSC OneDrive website for more information.
What Can You Do with SharePoint?
Microsoft SharePoint is a great tool for sharing documents with your department, co-workers, and project team members. Because SharePoint is cloud-based, no Virtual Private Network (VPN) is needed to access your documents. In addition, SharePoint has improved version history, accessibility, and security.
Other benefits of SharePoint:
- Provides shared document storage to all UTHSC faculty, students and staff
- Replaces the need for Dropbox for most users
- HIPAA and FERPA compliant solution
- External Sharing capabilities, which allow collaboration with non-UTHSC colleagues and vendors
- Collaboration functionality that allows more than one authorized user to work on a document at the same time
- Version history of files and a check-in and out feature
- Shared tasks, contacts, calendars, announcements, and link lists
- Alerts that email you when things change
- OneNote for meeting minutes
Visit the UTHSC SharePoint website for more information.
What is OnBase?
OnBase helps you work smarter, not harder!
OnBase by Hyland is a document management tool to help UTHSC on the road toward digital transformation. OnBase provides an electronic storage location for your paper, electronic and microfilm/fiche documents. Robust security allows you to decide who can scan, view, redact, and delete documents.
Interested in converting paper documents to electronic format? OnBase may be the answer for your department!
Visit the OnBase and the Digital Transformation webpages for more information.