History and Mission
Established in 1939, the Department of Preventive Medicine is integral to the UT Health Science Center's mission "to improve human health through education, research, and public service, with an emphasis on improving the health of Tennesseans." In the early 1970s, this department was instrumental in Memphis/Shelby County in developing one of the nation's premier community-based, nurse-run, chronic-disease treatment programs, designed and initiated by John W. Runyan, Jr., M.D., department chair from 1972 to 1994.
The department's clinical research expanded while William B. Applegate, M.D., M.P.H., was chair from 1994 to 1999. During this period, the Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology merged with the Department of Preventive Medicine, strengthening research and other initiatives. Grant W. Somes, Ph.D., the chair during 2000-2010, continued this progress and expanded the department's teaching mission through the Master of Science in Epidemiology program.
In 2010, Dr. Karen Johnson became interim chair of the department. Under her leadership, the department has continued to grow and flourish. In the last two years, we have added a Certificate in Clinical Investigation program that is extremely popular with active clinicians. We are currently retooling our MS in Epidemiology to make it a Masters in Clinical Investigation to meet demand from clinicians. Our research portfolio continues to diversify and expand.
Karen C. Johnson, M.D., M.P.H., Interim Chair
66 N. Pauline Street, Suite 633
Memphis, TN 38163