Dual Program: DNP/PhD Admission Requirements
Note: If you are interested in applying to the Dual DNP/PhD program, follow the instructions as if you are applying to the DNP program and also email Carolyn Graff for specific instructions for applying to the PhD program.
If you wait until the night before a program deadline to submit your application, your application may not be received by NursingCAS in time. You should apply before the earliest deadline of the program(s) that you are applying to. This will allow the necessary time to verify and process your application.
Part 1: The Application Process
Prospective students MUST apply to the DNP program through NursingCAS, a national nursing centralized application service endorsed by the American Association of Colleges of Nursing. Specific instructions are provided on the UTHSC NursingCAS Info page.
Official test scores and three letters of recommendation speaking to your potential to conduct research should also be submitted with the PhD portion of your application.
Part 2: Minimum Requirements for Admissions
- Bachelor’s degree with a GPA of at least 3.0 from an accredited college or university
- A combined (verbal and quantitative) score of at least 1000/300 on the former/revised Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- Unencumbered RN license
- Three letters of recommendation for PhD (research based); Three letters of recommendation for DNP (clinical based)
- Current CPR card
- A score of at least 213/79 on the computer-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), 6.5 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or evidence of proficiency in English for students whose native language is not English.
- Application documents from any non-U.S. institution must be sent to and verified by a National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) accredited agency
- Official test scores and three letters of recommendation must be sent directly from the contributing source and not by the student
Part 3: Official Transcript
Official transcripts from every college/university you have attended will be needed to complete your on-line application through NursingCAS. In addition, you will need to request that a copy of your transcript also be sent to NursingCAS for verification.
Transcripts from any non-U.S. institution must be sent to and verified by a NACES accredited agency, for example, the World Education Services (WES).
Part 4: Certifications
- Current RN license (For BSN and applicants only)
- Current Basic Life Support (CPR Certification) prior to UTHSC enrollment and maintained throughout UTHSC enrollment
Part 5: If Not a U.S. Citizen
- Applicant must provide photocopy of immigration documentation showing “legal immigration status” (e.g., “Green Card”).
- Copy of Immigration Status Doc.
Part 6: Laptop Required & Essential Computer Skills
- Must own a web-connected laptop.
- Computer/web-based literacy skills expected.
- Once accepted, students will referred to the UTHSC College of Nursing Computer and Software Requirements.
Part 7: Remember
- Enter all Colleges Attended. Enter all undergraduate, graduate, professional and foreign institutions that you have attended even if it was only for a single course or college credit awarded while you were in high school. Official transcripts will be necessary for all undergraduate, graduate and professional coursework (taken toward a bachelor's degree). Foreign coursework(non-Canadian) will need to be evaluated for U.S. equivalency.
- Enter all College Level Coursework. You must enter all coursework including courses in which you received a grade of “W” or“Inc.” Enter all in-progress and planned coursework. This will help programs decide if you are planning to take required courses in the future.
Part 8: Fees
After acceptance, students are required to submit a $65 NursingCAS application fee for the DNP portion of the application and a $200 Guaranteed Enrollment Deposit (GED). The GED, a non-refundable fee due within 30 days of acceptance, is held in escrow and applied to the student's first term of study.
920 Madison, #1020
Memphis, TN 38163
Jamie Overton, M.A.Ed.
Director of Student Affairs
920 Madison, #1021
Memphis, TN 38163
920 Madison, #1033
Memphis, TN 38163