Kristin Hamre, Ph.D.
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology
The University of Tennessee Health Science Center
855 Monroe Avenue, Suite 515
Memphis, TN 38163
Phone: (901) 448-2643
Fax: (901) 448-7193
Lab: 220 Wittenborg Anatomy Building
Email: Kristin Hamre
- Ph.D. Institution: Department of Anatomy, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- Postdoctoral: Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, TN (laboratory of Dr. Daniel Goldowitz)
There are 2 major foci of my research, both centered on the interaction between genetics and the nervous system. The first major focus is centered on examining the relationship between genetics and several ethanol-related phenotypes in both the developing embryo and the adult animal. This research uses both strategies that attempt to identify the critical genes in mediating a phenotype as well as the opposite strategy of determining the role of a specific gene in a phenotype using mutant mice. Both behavioral and anatomic phenotypes (e.g. cell death markers) are examined. The second major focus is examining how specific genes impact the development of various neuronal populations. In this approach the effect of a mutated gene, either in naturally-occurring or induced mutations, on the morphology of a specific structure or cell type is examined.
- Baker JA, Li J, Zhou D, Yang M, Cook MN, Jones BC, Mulligan MK, Hamre KM, Lu L. Analyses of differentially expressed genes after exposure to acute stress, acute ethanol, or a combination of both in mice. Alcohol. 2017 Feb;58:139-151. doi: 10.1016/j.alcohol.2016.08.008. PubMed PMID: 28027852; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5270764.
- Duan C, Chen Y, Shen A, Xu J, Zhao Y, Cai R, Liu Y, Zhou L, Lei Y, Hamre K, Lu L. Genetic expression analysis of E2F-associated phosphoprotein in stress responses in the mouse. Gene. 2016 May 1;581(2):130-8. doi: 10.1016/j.gene.2016.01.032. PubMed PMID: 26802973.
- Urquhart KR, Zhao Y, Baker JA, Lu Y, Yan L, Cook MN, Jones BC, Hamre KM, Lu L. A novel heat shock protein alpha 8 (Hspa8) molecular network mediating responses to stress- and ethanol-related behaviors. Neurogenetics. 2016 Apr;17(2):91-105. doi: 10.1007/s10048-015-0470-0. PubMed PMID: 26780340.
- Cook MN, Baker JA, Heldt SA, Williams RW, Hamre KM, Lu L. Identification of candidate genes that underlie the QTL on chromosome 1 that mediates genetic differences in stress-ethanol interactions. Physiol Genomics. 2015 Aug;47(8):308-17. doi: 10.1152/physiolgenomics.00114.2014. PubMed PMID: 25991709; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4525077.
- Ha T, Swanson D, Larouche M, Glenn R, Weeden D, Zhang P, Hamre K, Langston M, Phillips C, Song M, Ouyang Z, Chesler E, Duvvurru S, Yordanova R, Cui Y, Campbell K, Ricker G, Phillips C, Homayouni R, Goldowitz D. CbGRiTS: cerebellar gene regulation in time and space. Dev Biol. 2015 Jan 1;397(1):18-30. doi: 10.1016/j.ydbio.2014.09.032. PubMed PMID: 25446528.
- Goldowitz D, Lussier AA, Boyle JK, Wong K, Lattimer SL, Dubose C, Lu L, Kobor MS, Hamre KM. Molecular pathways underpinning ethanol-induced neurodegeneration. Front Genet. 2014 Jul 15;5:203. doi: 10.3389/fgene.2014.00203. PubMed PMID: 25076964; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4097813.