1. White-Means, S., Henley, D., Wilson, K., Lipova., S., Wicks, M.., & Rice, M.(2012). Challenges to Breast Cancer Disparity Elimination in Memphis, Tennessee. Presented at the 2012 NIMHD Summit on The Science of Eliminating Health Disparities; Building a Healthier Society Integrating Science, Policy, and Practice. National Harbor, Maryland Abstract Abstract
2. Rice, M., Wicks, M., & White-Means, S. (2013). Is Health Affected by Living In a High Poverty Neighborhood? Abstract
3. White-Means, S., Rice, M., & Wicks, M. (2013). Stress and Health Behaviors in a Poverty Stricken Community Cohort. Abstract
Publications and Projects
- White-Means, S. (2013). Health Disparities. In Encyclopedia of Race and Racism (2nd ed. pp.297-307).Retrieved from gale.cengage.com.
- White-Means, S., Brown, L., Dong, Z., and Hufstader, M. (2009). Cultural Competency. Race and Skin Tone Bias Among Pharmacy, Nursing, and Medical Students: Implications for Addressing Health Disparities. Medical Care Research and Review. (vol 66 no. 4 pp. 436-455). Doi: 10.1177/1077558709333995 Article by Dr. White-Means on Cultural Competency
- Brandi Franklin, Ashley Jones, Dejuan Love, Stefane Puckett, Justin Macklin; Shelley White-Means. “Exploring mediators of food insecurity and obesity: a review of recent literature.” Journal of Community Health, 37 (1): 253-264. Food Security Article by CHEER Summer Students
- University of Tennessee Health and Science Center, Tennessee Department of Health, and Tennessee State University (2006). The Burden of Heart Disease and Stroke in Tennessee. Retrieved from The Burden of Heart Disease and Stroke in Tennessee.
CHEER Intervention Findings
- See CHEER Intervention – Lay Revisions for a summary of CHEER’s community health assessment findings
- For a technical summary, see CHEER Intervention.
- CHEER Intervention: CEOC
CHEER Health Summit Findings
- Bailey JE, Wan JY, Tang J, Ghani MA, & Cushman WC. (2010). Antihypertensive medication adherence,ambulatory visits, and risk of stroke and death. J Gen Intern Med, 25(6), 495-503.
- Healthy Memphis Common Table (2011, May). Status Report on Efforts to Advance Health Equity.
- Lewis MW, Wasson W, Scarbecz M, Aubertin MA, Woods M, & Himel. (2011). Tennessee smiles: the UT grassroots oral health outreach initiative. J Tenn Dent Assoc., 91(4), 20-29.
"Getting Ahead, How Does Education Affect My Health?"
LeMoyne Owen College
Brownlee Hall, Room 45
10:00 a.m.- 11:30 a.m.
"Controlled Substance Symposium" Flyer
Baptist Main -
6019 Walnut Grove Road
Memphis, Tennessee 38120
6:00 - 8:00 pm
66 N. Pauline, Suite 307
Memphis, TN 38105