BCHS Student Behavioral Health Services

Counseling Services:

  • Caryn Schmitz, Counselor
    E-Mail: Caryn.Schmitz@bchs.edu, 901-572-2660
    In an emergency or urgent situation, call the Baptist College front desk at 901-572-2468 for a Baptist student in need. UHS also has a provider on-call 24/7 at 901-541-5654.

Psychiatric Services

  • University Health Services (UHS) medical providers are available for psychiatric services such as medication management and emergencies.

Frequently asked questions about ADD/ADHD

  1. I think I might have ADD/ADHD, what can I do to get medication and/or accommodations?

    Official testing is required. This battery of tests must be performed by a qualified mental health professional such as a Psychologist. It is imperative that you have the correct testing to ensure the most effective care.

    We recommend the following options for testing.
    1. Check with your insurance company to see if the testing is covered and what providers are available to do the testing.
    2. We recommend the University of Memphis. They will charge based on a sliding scale fee system. There will most likely be a waiting list.

      University of Memphis: 901-678-2147
    3. We also recommend Dr. David Goldstein. He may offer a discount and payment plans for

      David B. Goldstein, LPPHD
      4646 Poplar Ave, Suite 413
      Memphis, TN 38117
      Phone:(901) 853-3910
  2. What if I was tested as a child or I was diagnosed with ADD/ADHD by my primary care provider?

    You must be tested as an adult by a qualified mental health professional such as a Psychologist. The policy of University Health Services is to obtain the proper documentation before prescribing ADD/ADHD medication.
  3. What if I have been tested and diagnosed with ADD/ADHD? How can I get medication and/or accommodations?

    Contact University Health Services (UHS). UHS will schedule an appointment with a UHS mental health provider. You will be asked to provide the testing documentation. If you have been prescribed medication, you will need to provide medical records from the former prescriber. UHS has providers available Monday through Friday.
  4. How do I request my medication refills?

    Once you are on a stable dose of medication, you are required to schedule follow-up appointments every three months. You can contact UHS for refills or to schedule your appointment. If you request by e-mail, you must document the medication, dosage, how you are doing on the medication, and how are your sleep and appetite in your e-mail.
  5. I think I may need a quiet environment or a private testing room because of my ADD/ADHD. How do I request this?

    This diagnosis is considered a disability, so you can qualify to receive accommodations (disability services). Your mental health provider at UHS can help you determine what accommodations you might need. UHS will provide the required paperwork for you to take to the disability coordinator on the BCHS campus.
  6. Why are there such strict guidelines about ADD/ADHD?

    Most medications prescribed for ADD/ADHD are controlled substances, strictly regulated by state and federal law because of their potential for misuse, abuse and diversion. When prescribing controlled drugs on a regular basis, we must follow state laws regarding prescribing controlled substances. Our clinic policy is designed to protect your ability to access controlled substances and our ability to prescribe for you.
    When receiving prescriptions for controlled drugs, you'll be required to sign a Controlled Substances Contract for UHS at 901-448-5064, 901-448-7255 Fax.

Online Portal for Refill Requests and Other Functions

Contact Us

University Health Services
910 Madison, 9th floor
Memphis, TN 38163

Appointments/General Questions

Please call: (901) 448-5630

Emergency After Hours Provider Access: (901) 541-5654

Fax: (901) 448-7255


Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Closed daily between 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.