Annual FERPA Notice

FERPA is an acronym for the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, also known as the Buckley Amendment. This federal enactment establishes the legal parameters governing access to and release of student educational records. One of the six basic requirements is that students be annually notified of their FERPA rights.

Annual FERPA Notice for Students

Student Self Service

Log into to Student Self Service to add/drop courses, print schedule, update mailing addresses and phone numbers, email professors, view grades, request official transcripts, print unofficial transcripts, etc.

Use the Banner Student Self Service Guide  PDF icon to help you become comfortable with the new Banner Self Service. It provides step-by-step instructions for using several functions of Student Self Service.

Class Offerings

Check to see what's being offered and begin forming an idea of what you might take.

  • If you are an admitted student, login to Student Self Service and search the semester's class offerings using the Look Up Classes feature.
  • If you are not an admitted student, use the Class Schedule Search.


Online Registration

Students may register online through Student Self Service. Quick steps for registration are listed below. For more detailed information, see Student Self Service Guide  PDF icon .

To Register:

  1. Once you have accessed the Student Self Service page, Click Enter Secure Area
  2. The first time you log in, you will be prompted to change your security pin. Your pin must be at least six numbers long.
    • Enter Old Pin
    • Enter New Pin
    • Confirm New Pin
    • Click Login
  3. Confirm your new pin
  4. Select Security Question and Answer or Create your own. If you decide to create your own security question, the question must be at least 10 characters and the answer must be at least 6 characters.
  5. Click Submit
  6. You are then directed to the main menu. From Student Self Service, select Student.
  7. Click Registration and then Add/Drop Classes
  8. Select the appropriate term/semester
  9. Click Submit
  10. Type one Course Reference Number (CRN) into each field. If you do not have CRN number(s) see instructions on Searching for Classes.
  11. Click Submit Changes
  12. A screen confirming your registration will appear. If any of the classes for which you wanted to register do not appear in the Current Schedule area, scroll down the page to view the error messages, which will tell you why you were not able to register. Please contact the Registrar's office for help with registration error messages.
  13. To view your bill for the term, click Registration Fee Assessment

To Drop a Course:

  1. Go to the Add/Drop Classes option where your registered classes appear.
  2. Click on the down arrow in the "ACTION" column to the left of the course you would like to drop.
  3. Click on "Drop Web".
  4. Click Submit Changes.

Searching for Classes:

  1. Login to Student Self Service with your UTHSC Net ID and PIN (if this is your first time, see instructions for Registering for Classes)
  2. Click Student from the Student Self Service Menu
  3. Then click Registration and then Add or Drop Classes
  4. Select the appropriate term/semester
  5. To search for classes, click Class Search.
  6. Search by Subject-- the search can be filtered by title, class start and end times, method of instruction, etc.
  7. Choose your class by clicking Select which places a checkbox to the left of the course.
  8. Register for the course by clicking Register.
  9. To view your bill for the term, click Registration Fee Assessment.

Adding Classes:

To add a course during regular registration, see instructions for Online Registration.

Students may add courses through the last day of registration. The last date that a student may add classes is published in the UTHSC Academic Calendar. Students may also see Registration Dates for a particular term. A student who attends class without officially registering or following the procedures for adding a class will not receive credit for that class. No student will be added to a course after the 14th calendar of classes. All class official start dates coincide with the Academic Calendar regardless of class meeting times and days. To add a class the student must complete an add/drop form with the assistance of an advisor or other designated UTHSC personnel, submit the form to Office of the Registrar with the appropriate signatures, and pay any additional fees required by the Bursar.

Dropping/Withdrawing Classes

To drop a course during regular registration, see instructions for Online Registration.

A student may officially drop or withdraw from a course within the prescribed time allowed by the College. The date on which the student drops or withdraws from a course impacts the amount of refund to which the student may be entitled. To drop or withdraw from a course as student will need to complete the appropriate form with an advisor or other designated UTHSC personnel and submit the form to the Office of the Registrar with the appropriate signatures. See Bursar's Office for more information on refunds.


Withdrawal from College

When a student must withdraw from the College, a Change in Student Status Form  PDF icon must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar for processing. The student must withdraw within the prescribed time period allowed by the individual College.

Unofficial Withdrawals

When a student enrolls in a course and stops attending the class, the student is considered unofficially withdrawn. Faculty must report "no shows" and the last date of attendance for any student who has been determined to have stopped attending class. Students receiving Financial Aid and/or Veterans Educational Benefits may be required to repay such funds when classes are not properly attended.

Transcript Requests

Current Students:

You may access and request official and unofficial copies of your academic transcript from the Student Records area of your Student Self Service account. You may also request mailing of an official/unofficial UTHSC transcript by doing the following:

Former Students:

You may request mailing of an official/unofficial UTHSC transcript by doing the following:

Processing Time

Transcript requests are generally processed and mailed within 3-5 business days (5-7 during peak times). Transcript requests for alumni and former students who were at the University for any length of time before Fall 1991 will require additional processing time (anywhere from 5-10 days) as their secure records will be retrieved from University Archives.

Delivery Options

  1. MAIL - Paper transcripts are mailed using standard delivery through the U.S. Postal Service. You may opt for express shipping at your own cost. Students must provide a pre-paid envelope with the recipient's name and address to the Registrar's Office.
  2. PICKUP - Transcripts can be held for pick up at the One Stop Shop. Students must provide a photo ID before the transcript is released.

Enrollment Verifications

Current/Former Students Requesting Enrollment & Degree Verifications:

Employers and Background Screening Firms Requesting Enrollment & Degree Verifications:

The University of Tennessee Health Science Center has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse to provide enrollment and degree verifications. The National Student Clearinghouse can be contacted at:

Web: external link icon or external link icon
Mail: National Student Clearinghouse
        13454 Sunrise Valley Drive, Suite 300
        Herndon, VA 20171

Please note: Our school is listed as The University of Tennessee Health Science Center, (Memphis).

Address or Name Change

Current or Mailing Address Changes

Students are responsible for notifying the University in a timely manner of any change of address and phone. Current students may update all current and mailing addresses/phone numbers, and emergency contacts online through Banner Self Service. Please see the Student Self Service Guide   PDF icon for instructions. Changing addresses online is the fastest way to update address information.

Permanent Address Changes

Students requesting to have their permanent address changed must submit the Change of Permanent Address Form to the Office of the Registrar. Requests for permanent address changes from another state to the state of Tennessee must be reviewed by the Registrar. Any permanent address change from state to state may affect tuition/fees. For more information on change of residency, please visit Residency Guidelines Application.

Name Changes

To change your name, the Name Change Request form must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar by:

  • Faxing the Name Change request to 901-448-1017
  • Emailing request to
  • Mailing request to 910 Madison, Suite 520, Memphis, TN 38163

In addition to the request form, copies of any of the following supporting documentation must be submitted as well:

  • Driver's License
  • Passport
  • Birth Certificate
  • Marriage license
  • Divorce Decree
  • Social Security Card
  • Statement, certified by a notary public, attesting to the correct spelling of his/her name

All University official records, including diplomas and transcripts, will display the student's name as it has been recorded by the University Registrar. For International students on a Visa, your name must reflect the name that appears on your Visa.


Is there a fee for transcripts?

No the University of Tennessee Health Science Center does not charge a fee for transcripts.

What should I do if I am a graduating student and want my degree posted on my transcript?

For students who are graduating, we ask that you mark hold for degree on your transcript request. Your transcript will not be sent until your degree has been conferred.

What should I do if I am waiting for a grade to be posted?

Students waiting for grades should use Student Self Service to check that they have been posted before ordering transcripts.

Why is there a hold on my registration?

There can be many reasons for a registration hold to be placed on your student account. If you look at your account on Student Self Service, you can see what the hold is for and which department placed the hold.

Can I order a transcript if I have a hold placed on my account?

No. Students and alumni cannot request transcripts if they have holds placed on their accounts from such things as unpaid bills, library fines, and parking tickets. All students and alumni who have access to Student Self Service should check the "Holds" page before placing orders. See Student Self Service Guide   PDF icon for instructions on removing holds. Alumni without access to Student Self Service can contact the Registrar's Office for details.

What do certain notations mean on my transcript?

See Grades & GPA for transcript key included with each official transcript.

Contact Us

Office of the Registrar
910 Madison Avenue, Suite 520
Memphis, Tennessee 38163
Tel: 901-448-5568
Fax: 901-448-1017

Office Hours

8:00am – 5:00pm CST
Monday – Friday