Kafait U. Malik, Ph.D.
Department of Pharmacology
The University of Tennessee Health Science Center
216 Crowe Research Building
874 Union Avenue
Memphis, TN 38163
Phone: (901) 448-6075
Fax: (901) 448-7300
Email: Kafait U. Malik
- D.Sc. Institution: University of Zagreb, Department of Pharmaceutics, Zagreb, Yugoslavia
- Ph.D. Institution: University of Sarajevo, Department of Pharmacology, Sarajevo, Yugoslavia
- Postdoctoral: University of Mainz, Department of Pharmacology, Mainz, W. Germany; University of Ottawa, Department of Pharmacology, Ottawa, Ontario
The objective of the research in this laboratory is to investigate the regulation of adrenergic neuroeffector events in the cardiovascular system. A variety of physiological, pharmacological, cellular and molecular techniques are used to define interaction of these neurohormonal systems in several experimental preparations of different species, both in vitro and in vivo.
The specific aims are: 1) characterization of receptors and the underlying signal transduction mechanisms (coupling of receptors to phospholipases via different G proteins) involved in adrenergically-induced release of arachidonic acid for prostaglandin synthesis; 2) investigation of the mechanism of action of arachidonic acid metabolites on release of the adrenergic transmitter ; and 3) examination of the mechanism of interaction of angiotensins and adrenergic nervous system in the regulation of cardiovascular function.
- Ruisanchez E, Dancs P, Ker├ęk M, N├ęmeth T, Farag├│ B, Balogh A, Patil R, Jennings BL, Liliom K, Malik KU, Smrcka AV, Tigyi G, Beny├│ Z. Lysophosphatidic acid induces vasodilation mediated by LPA1 receptors, phospholipase C, and endothelial nitric oxide synthase. FASEB J. 2013 Nov 18. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 24249637.
- Tunctan B, Korkmaz B, Sari AN, Kacan M, Unsal D, Serin MS, Buharalioglu CK, Sahan-Firat S, Cuez T, Schunck WH, Manthati VL, Falck JR, Malik KU. Contribution of iNOS/sGC/PKG pathway, COX-2, CYP4A1, and gp91(phox) to the protective effect of 5,14-HEDGE, a 20-HETE mimetic, against vasodilation, hypotension, tachycardia, and inflammation in a rat model of septic shock. Nitric Oxide. 2013 Sep 1;33:18-41. doi: 10.1016/j.niox.2013.05.001. Epub 2013 May 14. PubMed PMID: 23684565; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3759626.
- Tunctan B, Korkmaz B, Sari AN, Kacan M, Unsal D, Serin MS, Buharalioglu CK, Sahan-Firat S, Cuez T, Schunck WH, Falck JR, Malik KU. 5,14-HEDGE, a 20-HETE mimetic, reverses hypotension and improves survival in a rodent model of septic shock: contribution of soluble epoxide hydrolase, CYP2C23, MEK1/ERK1/2/IKK╬▓/I╬║B-╬▒/NF-╬║B pathway, and proinflammatory cytokine formation. Prostaglandins Other Lipid Mediat. 2013 Apr-May;102-103:31-41. doi: 10.1016/j.prostaglandins.2013.01.005. Epub 2013 Feb 27. PubMed PMID: 23454652; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3739859.
- Jennings BL, Estes AM, Anderson LJ, Fang XR, Yaghini FA, Fan Z, Gonzalez FJ, Campbell WB, Malik KU. Cytochrome P450 1B1 gene disruption minimizes deoxycorticosterone acetate-salt-induced hypertension and associated cardiac dysfunction and renal damage in mice. Hypertension. 2012 Dec;60(6):1510-6. doi: 10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.112.202606. Epub 2012 Oct 29. PubMed PMID: 23108654; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3499668.
- Tunctan B, Korkmaz B, Sari AN, Kacan M, Unsal D, Serin MS, Buharalioglu CK, Sahan-Firat S, Schunck WH, Falck JR, Malik KU. A novel treatment strategy for sepsis and septic shock based on the interactions between prostanoids, nitric oxide, and 20-hydroxyeicosatetraenoic acid. Antiinflamm Antiallergy Agents Med Chem. 2012 Sep;11(2):121-50. Review. PubMed PMID: 23013331.
- Tunctan B, Sari AN, Kacan M, Unsal D, Buharalioglu CK, Sahan-Firat S, Korkmaz B, Falck JR, Malik KU. NS-398 reverses hypotension in endotoxemic rats: contribution of eicosanoids, NO, and peroxynitrite. Prostaglandins Other Lipid Mediat. 2013 Jul-Aug;104-105:93-108. doi: 10.1016/j.prostaglandins.2012.08.007. Epub 2012 Sep 5. PubMed PMID: 22975359; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3774147.