Enrollment in health insurance must be made within the first 31 days of employment. Health insurance becomes effective the first of the calendar month following the hire date. State Group Health Insurance also includes basic term life and basic accidental death insurance. New employees will complete insurance forms during new hire orientation.
After initial enrollment, changes may only be made:
- within 60 days of a special qualifying event (see pg. 3 of the Insurance Enrollment Form )
- during the "Annual Transfer Period"
- NOTE: If you do not enroll during your first 31 days of hire or refuse coverage, there is NO guarantee enrollment will be allowed later during the Annual Enrollment Transfer Period. If enrollment is allowed there a late applicant fee will apply. There is no late fee to add children (up to age 26).
If you wish to cancel your medical or dental coverage outside of the Annual Enrollment Transfer period, you must:
- lose eligibility under the State Group Insurance Program or
- become eligible for coverage under another plan (see reasons listed below) or
- if enrolled in the Assurant prepaid dental plan option and there is no participating general dentist within a 40-mile radius of your home.
Employees may cancel coverage if they have become newly eligible under another plan. Proof will be required of the event and proof must be submitted 60 days from the date of the event. The Insurance Cancel Request Applications lists qualifiable events.
Medical Plan Options
Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBST) PPO
(In state look for Network S; Out-of-state look for the Blue Card Program)
Human Resources Office
910 Madison Avenue
Memphis, TN 38163
Phone: (901) 448-5600
Fax: (901) 448-7497