Missing Student Protocol
The University of Tennessee Health Science Center (UTHSC) has established a missing student notification policy in an effort to assist in ensuring the safety of our residential students, and as a requirement of the Higher Education Act of 2008 (20 U.S.C.S. §1092; 42 U.S.C.S. §5579).
The safety of students at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center is of paramount concern to the University. Those with concerns about the immediate safety of a student should contact the University Campus Police Department ("UTHSCPD") at 901-448-4444. Those with comments or concerns regarding the University's Missing Student policy and efforts should contact the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs at 901-448-5560.
- This policy applies to all residential facilities located on the UTHSC campus. At the present time, Phi Chi Medical Fraternity is the only residential facility on the UTHSC campus.
- All students, including visiting students, who reside in Phi Chi Medical Fraternity campus facilities will have the opportunity to identify and provide confidential emergency contact information through one of the methods listed below:
- Upon checking into Phi Chi Medical Fraternity housing.
- Using BANNER Self-Service.
- The information provided is for use of the University when a student is missing.
- Unless there is evidence to the contrary, a student living in Phi Chi Medical Fraternity housing will not necessarily be considered missing if the student provided information about his/her intended whereabouts or if the student is absent during recognized University holidays or breaks.
- When a University official becomes aware that a residential student has been missing for more than twenty-four (24) hours, the official will immediately report his/her belief to the University of Tennessee Health Science Center Campus Police Department ("UTHSCPD") and the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs (or his/her designee) or the Student Conduct Officer.
Assistant Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs
Dr. Sonya G. Smith
Assistant Vice Chancellor
910 Madison Building
Memphis, TN 38163
Phone: (901) 448-5568
Student Conduct Officer
Dr. Michael Alston
Office of Equity and Diversity
920 Madison Avenue
Memphis, TN 38163
- The designated University official will contact other University officials who have a need to know about the missing student report. (Please note that University officials may report a student missing at any time; there is no requirement for the official to wait until they believe the student has been missing for more than twenty-four (24) hours.)
- The UTHSCPD will investigate a University official's report that a student is believed to be missing. If the UTHSCPD determines that the student has, in fact, been missing for more than twenty-four (24) hours and the UTHSCPD is unable to locate the student, the UTHSCPD will contact the following individuals within the next twenty-four (24) hours:
|For a Student Who Is:||The UTHSCPD Will Contact:**|
|***Under 18 years old and not emancipated||Student's parent or guardian and the student's emergency contact (if the student has requested the University to contact someone in addition to his/her parent or guardian)|
|***Under 18 years old and emancipated||Student's emergency contact|
|18 years old or older||Student's emergency contact|
- The Assistant Vice Chancellor for Business (or his/her designee) is responsible for making the provisions of this policy known to students who live in Phi Chi Medical Fraternity housing and advising these students of the option to designate an emergency contact in Banner Self-Service.
**The UTHSCPD will obtain the emergency contact information from the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs (or his/her designee), Registrar, or Assistant Vice Chancellor for Business (or his/her designee). If the student has not provided the University with emergency contact information, then, if appropriate, the UTHSCPD will contact other law enforcement agencies.
***The determination as to whether a student is emancipated will be based upon the information available and the University official's knowledge at the time the contact is required.
740 Court Avenue
Memphis, TN 38163
Phone: (901) 448-4444