Frequently Asked Questions

1. What needs can be referred to the Student Assistance Program (SAP)?

UTHSC students and graduate medical residents (GME) can receive face-to-face counseling for issues such as stress, emotional, financial, legal, and relationship

problems, sexual orientation, alcohol and substance abuse. There is also a translation service available.

2. How are people referred to SAP?

The individual must call (at any time) to access services.

SAP# (800) 327-2255

3. What are the benefits of SAP?

The benefits include:

  • An immediate connection to a licensed mental health care professional
  • Face-to-face counseling (up to 6 visits/issue) or phone counseling if preferred
  • Referrals to counselors in any geographic area in the USA.
  • A Personal Assistant Service is available that provides online resources and guidance with day-to-day issues as well as family-life challenges. These services include: elder care referrals, personal services, child care info, gifts or shopping services, dining and entertainment arrangements, party and event planning, prenatal programs, resources for seniors, travel coordination, information services and much more.
  • Access to a wellness coach.

4. What are the fees for SAP?

UTHSC students have paid a fee within their tuition to cover the SAP program. UTHSC GME office pays for SAP counseling for medical residents. There is NO out of pocket expense at the time of service.

5. What if I think I have ADHD?

* I think I might have ADHD, what can I do to get medication and/or accommodations?

Official testing is required. This battery of tests must be performed by a qualified mental health professional such as a Psychologist. It is imperative that you have the correct testing to ensure the most effective care. Refer to this link on the SASSI website for details on the testing requirements. UHS recommends that you take these guidelines with you for your testing appointment.

We recommend the following options for testing.

a). The SASSI sometimes has a University of Memphis student who performs the testing at no  charge for UTHSC students. There may be a waiting list. You should call them for an appointment or additional information about testing.

Student Academic Support Services and Inclusion (SASSI): (901) 448-5056

b). If you are on the student insurance plan, we have added coverage for the testing.  You will still be responsible for your deductible/co-pay. The following is an approved  provider on the student plan.

                                David B. Goldstein, LPPHD
                                4646 Poplar Ave, Suite 413
                                Memphis, TN 38117
                                Phone: (901) 853-3910

 c). If you are not on the student insurance plan and your insurance does not provide  coverage for the testing, we recommend the University of Memphis. They will charge based on a sliding scale fee system. There will most likely be a waiting list.

                                University of Memphis: (901) 678-2147

* What if I was tested as a child or I was diagnosed with ADHD by my primary care provider?

You must be tested as an adult within the past 5 years by a qualified mental health professional such as a Psychologist. The policy of University Health Services is to obtain the proper documentation before prescribing ADHD medication.

* What if I have been tested and diagnosed with ADHD? How can I get medication and/or accommodations?

Contact Univeristy Health Services (UHS) at 901-448-5620 to schedule an appointment with a UHS mental health provider. You will be asked to provide the testing documentation. If you have been prescribed medication, you will need to provide medical records from the former prescriber. UHS has providers available Monday through Friday.

* How do I request my medication refills?

Once you are on a stable dose of medication, you are required to schedule follow-up appointments every three months. You can call 901-448-5620 for refills or to schedule your appointment. If you request by e-mail, you must document the medication, dosage, how you are doing on the medication, and how are your sleep and appetite in your e-mail.

* I think I may need a quiet environment or a private testing room because of my ADHD. How do I request this?

This diagnosis is considered a disability, so you can qualify to receive accommodations (disability services). Your mental health provider at UHS can help you determine what accommodations you might need. UHS will process the required paperwork and forward to the SASSI. You will be asked to sign a consent to release form between UHS and SASSI. See this link on the SASSI website regarding disability services.

* Why are there such strict guidelines about ADHD?

Most medications prescribed for ADHD are controlled substances, strictly regulated by state and federal law because of their potential for misuse, abuse and diversion. When prescribing controlled drugs on a regular basis, we must follow state laws regarding prescribing controlled substances. Our clinic policy is designed to protect your ability to access controlled substances and our ability to prescribe for you.

When receiving prescriptions for controlled drugs, you’ll be required to sign a Controlled Substances Contract for UHS.

* What if I’m not on the Memphis campus, can I still get my medication?

As long as you are in Tennessee, we can mail your prescriptions once you become an established patient here at UHS. You’ll be required to make follow up med check appointments every three months either by phone or Telepsych.

6. What happens if individuals need services beyond SAP (such as psychological testing for ADHD or other learning disabilities)?

Students can contact the Disability Coordinator at Student Academic Support Services and Inclusion (SASSI) at (901) 448-5056 for disability related services. For psychological evalatuions for ADD/ADHD testing, UHS refers to SASSI (no charge for students), the University of Memphis, phone: (901) 678-2147, or Dr. David B. Goldstein, phone: (901) 853-3910, who is an approved provider with the United Student Insurance plan.

The student insurance plan now covers the ADD/ADHD testing and medication (after a $250 annual deductible).

7. What are the costs of mental health benefits  once the six SAP visits are complete?

Individuals can get up to 6 visits/issue through the SAP program.

If further therapy is needed, individuals can refer to their own health insurance benefits for care. Mental health coverage varies with each plan. If you are on the United Student Insurance plan, UHS has counselors on staff who will file your insurance for you. See below for details.

United Benefits (campus sponsored plan)

a. Several counselors are on staff at UHS. The services will be filed on your insurance. There are unlimited visits with no out of pocket expense if seen at UHS.

b. Students can see a provider at UTMG Behavioral Health Center and 80% of the negotiated charge is covered after a $50.00 deductible per policy year. There are no limit on number of visits.

c. If a student is on United and seeks care outside of the UTMG Behavioral Health Center, there is a $50 copay per visit and a maximum benefit of $25 per visit.

Maximum of one visit per day and 10 visits per policy year.

8. What other mental health services are available to UTHSC students at UHS?

University Health Services has psychiatric services for medication management, psychotherapy and emergency issues for students. These services are provided to students as part of their student health fee, so there is no out-of-pocket expense. Call 901-448-5620 to set up an appointment.

9.  What are the options for services in the community if the student needs ongoing mental health services?

for community resources, verify providers and benefits with your insurance company.

10. What should a faculty member do if emergency mental health services are needed?

If the faculty member feels threatened, campus police should be called at (901) 448-4444. If individuals express thoughts of hurting themselves or others, the faculty member can call 901-448-5620 to set up an urgent appointment with the Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner, the Behavioral Health Coordinator, or the UHS Medical Director.

UHS has a provider on-call after hours and on weekends and can be reached by calling UHS at (901) 541-5654. The UHS staff member on-call will contact a mental health provider if needed.


Students may also call the Student Assistance Program at (800) 327-2255 for 24/7 care.

Hospitalization for psychiatric care is covered under major medical insurance plans. Hospitals with psychiatric services are Lakeside Beahvioral Health Hospital and St. Francis Hospital.

Refer to the emergency link at the bottom right of every UTHSC webpage.

11.  How does the balance of confidentiality and emergency services occur?

If the UTHSC employee thinks a student is placing himself or others at risk, confidentiality is secondary to safety.

Contact Information:

Student Assistance Program - (800) 327-2255

University Health Services       


Online Portal for Refill Requests and Other Functions

Contact Us

University Health Services
910 Madison, 9th floor
Memphis, TN 38163

Appointments/General Questions

Please call: (901) 448-5630

Emergency After Hours Provider Access: (901) 541-5654

Fax: (901) 448-7255


Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Closed daily between 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.