Frequently Asked Questions

UTHSC Campus Insurance Plan

How do I get information about the UTHSC campus sponsored insurance plan?
Student Health Insurance Information

The agent for the United Insurance Plan is Mr. Jerry Holland at:
Gerald Holland Insurance
P.O. Box 328
Southaven, MS 38671

662-895-5549 (fax)
888-393-9500 (toll free)

For New Students - Required Shots and Blood Tests

How do I submit my immunization records to UHS?
The University of Tennessee and the State of Tennessee require certain immunizations be obtained for enrollment/registration purposes. A hold has been placed on your account until your immunization records are recorded and complete.

UHS has a secure web-portal called OpenCommunicator where students can review their required  immunization  documentation. In order to access OpenCommunicator, you must have a UTHSC net ID and student ID.

Enter your net ID and password.
Enter your date of birth.
Click on Forms (at left).
Click on UTHSC Required Immunizations.

Enter the date for every shot and titer into this form.  The next step is to submit your official immunization documentation to UHS.

There are two methods to provide your documentation:

  • Fax to UHS at 901-448-7255
  • U.S. Postal Service:
    University Health Services
    Attn: Sharon Martin
    910 Madison Avenue, Suite 922
    Memphis, TN 38163

What is a titer?
A titer is a blood test that determines if you have immunity to a particular disease.  UHS offers titers for chickenpox, hepatitis, mumps, measles, and rubella.

What if I have a negative Hepatitis B titer or I do not convert to positive after my series of 3 shots?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that if a person fails to convert after the 3 shot series, the series should be repeated once. If the repeat titer remains negative, no further shots are recommended.

How long is my immunity after the Hepatitis B series of shots?
Immunity may be for a life time but it varies with each individual.  CDC recommends a follow-up titer every 4 years to determine if your immunity has changed.

Why am I required to have the varicella antibody titer if I know I had chickenpox as a child?
You must have proof of immunity which can be shown by a lab test (varicella antibody titer).  You may get this test at UHS and the cost is $40 for UTHSC students.  If you have a negative titer, you must get the shots to prevent you from getting the disease.  This is a series of 2 shots for a cost of $200 and can be given at UHS.

Do I have to get a meningitis shot?
Meningitis shots are required for students in the Clinical Laboratory Program, College of Allied Health.  They are recommended for residential students but not required. UHS has these shots for $100.

What will happen if I don't complete all of my vaccines before orientation?
A hold will be placed on your account so you will not be able to register. You will need to make an appointment at UHS to complete any deficiencies. You will be compliant if you get the first shot of any shot series, but make note of when the next shot is due. Hepatitis B is a series of three shots plus a titer. Varicella is a series of two shots.  It is very important that you continually check OpenCommunicator throughout your entire enrollment at UTHSC. All student immunizations must be up to date for enrollment and registration for each semester.

I have a hold on my account for immunizations. How do I get this hold removed?
The first step is to check OpenCommunicator to review your deficiencies. Access OpenCommunicator by going to this link - You can then schedule an appointment with UHS to receive the shots or titers needed. If you choose to get these shots or titers at another location, be sure to upload the documentation into OpenCommunicator. Please allow 10 working days for the UHS staff to update your records and lift your hold.

What if I'm unable to access OpenCommunicator?
If you are a new student, you will not be able to access OpenCommunicator until a UTHSC net ID and UTHSC student ID have been assigned. If you have these ID numbers and still can't get in, e-mail Christa Deiss at for additional help.

TB Skin Testing or Blood Tests

Why do I need a TB Skin test every year?
TB skin tests are required for all students every year. If you are a health care worker or around health care workers in your job, you need to be screened for exposure to tuberculosis every year.  TB is an airborne disease that is a risk for all health care professionals. TB skin tests are administered at UHS on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays (not on Thursdays since we can't read them over the weekend). TB skin tests are free for students.

What is a T-Spot Blood test?
The T-Spot TB test is a blood test for screening for exposure for TB if you have a history of a previous positive response to the PPD.  It can also validate a past positive TB skin test and determine more accurately if you have been exposed to TB.  This test is offered at UHS and is free to UTHSC students.

What if I have a positive TB skin test?
If you have a history of a positive TB skin test, you must be cleared from a US County Health Dept. and show UHS a card demonstrating this clearance.  If you do not have that card, UHS will either offer you the T-SPOT TB TEST or refer you to the Memphis Shelby County Health Dept. for clearance.

Copies of Medical Records or Immunizations

How do I get copies of my medical records or immunizations?
UHS is happy to send copies of your records. Just complete the medical release form and send to us. We must have 24 hour notice. Please be very specific and list dates of service and provider.

UHS Consent to Release Form PDF icon

UHS Behavioral Health Consent to Release Form PDF icon

Also, you can go to the OpenCommunicator web-portal and print your own immunization records.

Counseling and Mental Health

What if I need to talk to someone about some problems I am having?
Call 1-800-327-2255 to access the UTHSC Student Assistance Program (SAP).  Counselors are available 24/7 and can help you get an appointment with a provider in the area where you are living.  You can get 6 face-to-face visits for any issue and no insurance is filed.

What if I need to see a psychiatrist?
UHS will have a psychiatrist and a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner on staff that can see you medical evaluations and prescriptions.  Call 901-448-5064 for an appointment or for more information.

What if I need services beyond SAP (such as psychological testing for ADHD or other learning disabilities)?
Students can contact the Disability Coordinator at Student Academic Support Services and Inclusion (901-448-5056) for disability related services. For psychological evaluations for ADD/ADHD testing, UHS refers to Dr. David B. Goldstein, (Phone: 901-853-3910) for the approved testing with the United Student Insurance plan. Also, SASSI periodically has a University of Memphis student who can administer the testing at no charge. Contact SASSI for more information at 901-448-4046.

The student insurance plan now covers the ADD/ADHD testing and medication (after a $250 annual deductible).

Urgent Care

What do I do if I need to be seen quickly?
Call UHS at 901-448-5630 and tell the person on the phone that it is urgent for you to be seen.  If UHS is closed, call 901-541-5654 to reach the provider on call.

Can I just come to UHS?
Yes, you can come to UHS. UHS currently schedules SAME DAY APPOINTMENTS for acute care issues. Just call 901-448-5630. All other appointments, such as immunizations and physicals, will be scheduled during the first available time slot or at your convenience. You can also schedule appointments through OpenCommunicator.

Emergency Contraception

What is emergency contraception?
Emergency contraception is a backup method for preventing pregnancy and is not for routine use. Plan B® can reduce your chance of pregnancy after unprotected sex. For example, if you were using a condom and it broke, if you forgot to take 2 or more of your birth control pills this month, or if you were sexually assaulted, Plan B® may be a good option for you. It is important to know that Plan B® is not RU-486 (the abortion pill). Because Plan B® is used to prevent pregnancy, it will not work if you are already pregnant, and it will not affect an existing pregnancy.

Remember that you have only a few days to prevent a pregnancy after unprotected sex. If it is taken within 3 days (72 hours) after unprotected sex, it will decrease the chance that you will get pregnant by 89%. THE LONGER THE DELAY AFTER UNPROTECTED INTERCOURSE, THE LESS EFFECTIVE PLAN B BECOMES. Plan B is available over the counter at most drug stores.

On the Job Injury

What should I do if I get hurt on my job?
IF YOU ARE A UTHSC EMPLOYEE OR A RESIDENT: Notify your supervisor immediately and have them complete the State of Tennessee, Accident Report Form prior to being seen at UHS. This must be submitted to the Worker's Compensation office in 910 Madison Ave, Suite 722. This form is essential for documentation of occurrence and determination of benefits through Worker's Compensation.  You may come to UHS for your care or go to the nearest emergency department.

IF YOU ARE A STUDENT: Have the facility file all charges on your insurance.  The campus sponsored plan has this coverage. If you are on another insurance plan, other than the student plan, you should verify that this coverage is in your policy. It is very important that these procedures are followed as you are responsible for any bills incurred.  All follow up care is to be scheduled at UHS.

Needlestick or Other Blood Borne Pathogen Exposure

What do I do if I have an exposure to blood or body fluids?

See our Injuries & Exposures information page.

Who Do I Contact For Comments, Concerns?

Call us at 901-448-5630.



Online Appointments

Contact Us

University Health Services
910 Madison, 9th floor
Memphis, TN 38163

Appointments/General Questions

UTHSC and BCHS Students: (901) 448-5630
Employees: (901) 448-5624

Emergency After Hours Provider Access: (901) 541-5654

Fax: (901) 448-7255


Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Closed daily between 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.