Max Langham, MD
After earning his medical degree at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine in Baltimore, MD, Dr. Langham completed his surgical residency at the Medical College of Virginia in Richmond. He then went to Philadelphia, PA and completed a fellowship in pediatric surgery at St. Christopher's Hospital for Children.
In 1989 Dr. Langham joined the Division of Pediatric Surgery at the University of Florida as an Assistant Professor and rose to the rank of Professor and Chief. Then, in 2005 he moved to the University of Tennessee in Memphis as Chief of the Division of Pediatric Surgery and Director of the Residency Program in Pediatric Surgery.
Dr Langham is a member of a number of professional organizations including the American Surgical Association, the American College of Surgeons, the Surgical Section of the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Pediatric Surgical Association, the Society of University Surgeons, the Southern Surgical Association, and the Halsted Society. Dr. Langham is the immediate past president of the Association of Pediatric Surgeons Training Program Directors.
Research and Specialty Interests
- Liver Tumors
- Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia
- General, noncardiac thoracic and hepatobiliary surgery in children
University and Hospital Appointments
- Professor of Surgery
- Professor of Pediatrics
- Vice Chairman Department of Surgery
- St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital Chair in General Pediatric Oncological Surgery
- Consulting Surgeon, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN
- Baptist Memorial Hospital, Memphis, TN; Regional Medical Center, Memphis, TN
- The Johns Hopkins School of Medicine
Post Graduate Training
- General Surgery Residency, Medical College of Virginia, Richmond, VA
- Pediatric Surgery Fellowship, St. Christopher’s Hospital for Children, Philadelphia, PA
- Langham MR Jr, Furman WL, Fernandez-Pineda I. Current Management of Neonatal Liver Tumors. Curr Pediatr Rev. 2015;11(3):195-204. PubMed PMID: 26168944.
- Gadepalli SK, Downard CD, Thatch KA, Islam S, Azarow KS, Chen MK, Lillehei CW, Puligandla PS, Reynolds M, Waldhausen JH, Oldham KT, Langham MR Jr, Tracy TF Jr, Hirschl RB; Association of Pediatric Surgery Training Program Directors. The effort and outcomes of the Pediatric Surgery match process: Are we interviewing too many? J Pediatr Surg. 2015 Nov;50(11):1954-7. doi: 10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2015.06.008. Epub 2015 Jun 20. PubMed PMID: 26165158.
- Langham MR Jr, Walter A, Boswell TC, Beck R, Jones TL. Identifying children at risk of death within 30 days of surgery at an NSQIP pediatric hospital. Surgery. 2015 Dec;158(6):1481-91. doi: 10.1016/j.surg.2015.04.026. Epub 2015 Jun 10. PubMed PMID: 26070846.
- Loh A, Bishop M, Krasin M, Davidoff AM, Langham MR Jr. Long-term physiologic and oncologic outcomes of inferior vena cava thrombosis in pediatric malignant abdominal tumors. J Pediatr Surg. 2015 Apr;50(4):550-5. doi: 10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2014.11.044. Epub 2014 Dec 2. PubMed PMID: 25840061.
- Pershad J, Waters TM, Langham MR Jr, Li T, Huang EY. Cost-effectiveness of diagnostic approaches to suspected appendicitis in children. J Am Coll Surg. 2015 Apr;220(4):738-46. doi: 10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2014.12.019. Epub 2014 Dec 20. PubMed PMID: 25667142.
- Williams RF, Interiano RB, Paton E, Eubanks JW, Huang EY, Langham MR, Blakely ML. Impact of a randomized clinical trial on children with perforated appendicitis. Surgery. 2014 Aug;156(2):462-6. doi: 10.1016/j.surg.2014.03.039. Epub 2014 May 27. PubMed PMID: 24878457.
- Lally KP, Lasky RE, Lally PA, Bagolan P, Davis CF, Frenckner BP, Hirschl RM, Langham MR, Buchmiller TL, Usui N, Tibboel D, Wilson JM; Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia Study Group. Standardized reporting for congenital diaphragmatic hernia--an international consensus. J Pediatr Surg. 2013 Dec;48(12):2408-15. doi: 10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2013.08.014. PubMed PMID: 24314179.
- Huang EY, Tolley EA, Blakely ML, Langham MR. Changes in hospital utilization and management of Hirschsprung disease: analysis using the kids' inpatient database. Ann Surg. 2013 Feb;257(2):371-5. doi: 10.1097/SLA.0b013e31827ee976. PubMed PMID: 23263193.
- Meyers RL, Tiao GM, Dunn SP, McGahren ED 3rd, Langham MR Jr; Central Surgical Review Committee, Children's Oncology Group AHEP-0731, Treatment of Children with All Stages Hepatoblastoma. Surgical management of children with locally advanced hepatoblastoma. Cancer. 2012 Aug 15;118(16):4090-1; author reply 4094-5. doi: 10.1002/cncr.26715. Epub 2012 Jul 3. PubMed PMID: 22760520.
- Myers AL, Williams RF, Giles K, Waters TM, Eubanks JW 3rd, Hixson SD, Huang EY, Langham MR Jr, Blakely ML. Hospital cost analysis of a prospective, randomized trial of early vs interval appendectomy for perforated appendicitis in children. J Am Coll Surg. 2012 Apr;214(4):427-34; discussion 434-5. doi: 10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2011.12.026. Epub 2012 Feb 17. PubMed PMID: 22342789.
Board Certifications and Certificates
- American Board of Surgery, General Surgery
- Pediatric Surgery
- Surgical Critical Care
- Le Bonheur Children's Hospital
- St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
Dr. Langham enjoys Flying: Commercial instrument single engine land rating with tailwheel endorsement; cooking; and spending time with his family. He is married to Sue Langham and they have three children –Audrey, Andrew, and Stephen.