Alexander Feliz, M.D.
After graduating with a degree in Psychology from Wesleyan University in Middletown, CT, Dr. Feliz attended the Associated Medical Schools of New York Post-Baccalaureate Program S.U.N.Y. at Buffalo, NY. He then obtained his medical degree at The Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York.
In 2008, Dr. Feliz joined the University of Nevada School of Medicine and served as Assistant Professor in the Division of Pediatric Surgery and Associate Program director for the Department of Surgery. Then, in 2011 he moved to Memphis to join the Pediatric Surgical Group and serve as Clinical Assistant Professor at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center. Dr. Feliz is active in the association for Academic Surgery (AAS) and the American Pediatric Surgical Association (APSA).
Research and Clinical Interests
- Health Disparities Research
- Outcomes Research
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Pediatric Trauma
University and Hospital Appointments
- Associate Program Director, Pediatric Surgery Residency Program
- Associate Medical Director, Trauma Services
- Assistant Professor in Surgery and Pediatrics
- Director, Minimally Invasive Surgery Fellowship
- Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, N.Y.
Post Graduate Training
- Pediatric Surgery Resident: Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC, Pittsburgh, PA
- Pediatric Surgical Critical Care Resident: Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC, Pittsburgh, PA
- Surgery Resident: University of South Florida College of Medicine, Department of Surgery, Tampa, Fl.
- Feliz A, Holub JL, Azarakhsh N, Bachier-Rodriguez M, Savoie KB. Health disparities in infants with hypertrophic pyloric stenosis. Am J Surg. 2016 Aug 4. pii: S0002-9610(16)30388-9. doi: 10.1016/j.amjsurg.2016.07.009. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 27586849.
- Ryan ML, Maxwell AC, Manning L, Jacobs JD, Bachier-Rodriguez M, Feliz A, Williams RF. NONINVASIVE HEMOGLOBIN MEASUREMENT IN PEDIATRIC TRAUMA PATIENTS. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2016 Jul 6. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 27389126.
- Sathanandam S, Kumar TK, Feliz A, Knott-Craig CJ. Successful Repair of Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome With Intact Atrial Septum, Congenital Diaphragm Hernia, and Anomalous Origin of Coronary Artery: Defying the Odds. Ann Thorac Surg. 2016 Jul;102(1):e55-7. doi: 10.1016/j.athoracsur.2015.12.052. PubMed PMID: 27343534.
- Bachier M, Feliz A. Epidemiology of lawnmower-related injuries in children: A 10-year review. Am J Surg. 2016 Apr;211(4):727-32. doi: 10.1016/j.amjsurg.2015.11.025. Epub 2016 Jan 6. PubMed PMID: 26992357.
- Bachier M, Hammond SE, Williams R, Jancelewicz T, Feliz A. Pediatric scalds: do cooking-related burns have a higher injury burden? J Surg Res. 2015 Nov;199(1):230-6. doi: 10.1016/j.jss.2015.05.016. Epub 2015 May 18. PubMed PMID: 26076686.
- Arango-Lievano M, Schwarz JT, Vernov M, Wilkinson MB, Bradbury K, Feliz A, Marongiu R, Gelfand Y, Warner-Schmidt J, Nestler EJ, Greengard P, Russo SJ, Kaplitt MG. Cell-type specific expression of p11 controls cocaine reward. Biol Psychiatry. 2014 Nov 15;76(10):794-801. doi: 10.1016/j.biopsych.2014.02.012. Epub 2014 Feb 26. PubMed PMID: 24725970; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4145045.
Board Certifications and Certificates
- American Board of Surgery, Surgical Critical Care
- American Board of Surgery, Pediatric Surgery
- American Board of Surgery, General Surgery
- Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital
Dr. Feliz enjoys reading, team sports, and spending time with his family. He is married to Leslie J. Feliz and they have two children – Lucas and Olivia.