- Any UTHSC faculty member is eligible if he/she is a principal investigator on a grant or project which has been funded by a national funding agency with a bona fide scientific peer-review (e.g., NIH, NSF, American Heart Assoc.) for at least three consecutive years, and whose application for continued support from that agency has not been funded.
- New NIH R01 (or equivalent) applications that are direct continuations of previously funded projects are eligible.
- Lapsed R21 or R03 applications are not eligible, since these are pilot or bridge grants that are non-renewable.
- A faculty member with two or more grants is eligible for bridge funding when one is not funded, provided all other criteria described in this section are met. However, those faculty members with only one project funded extramurally, receive top priority.
- If extramural funding runs out without a rejection for continued funding, the principal investigator is not eligible. Applying for additional funding is a major requirement for receiving bridge funding. The expectation is, that applicants should have submitted a competitive renewal application during the final year of the extramural funding cycle. Delays in submission of competitive renewal applications must be fully justified. Furthermore, the investigator must agree to continue reapplying for extramural funding in the same or new research area.
- Any UTHSC faculty member who holds a VA appointment and applies for continued support for a project funded by a national funding agency with a bona fide scientific per review, will be eligible for bridge funding, provided that UT Health Science Center is the applicant Institution.
- Bridge funding is intended to provide limited support for individual grants, not for large grants such as a program projects or SCOR grants; however individual investigators of these types of grants are eligible for bridge fund support, provided all other criteria described in this section are met.
- Individual grants are eligible to receive bridge funding, one time only.
Sr. Business Manager
Office of Research
Suite 608, Room 678
Memphis, TN 38163
Phone: (901) 448-3746
Fax: (901) 448-7133