Ronald F. Pfeiffer, Ph.D.
Department of Neurology
The University of Tennessee Health Science Center
855 Monroe Avenue, Room 415
Memphis, TN 38163
Phone: (901) 448-6811
Fax: (901) 448-7440
Email: Ronald F. Pfeiffer
- M.D. Institution: University of Nebraska Medical Center
- Postdoctoral: Walter Reed Army Medical Center
The primary focus of my research is on Parkinson's disease. Clinical trials of experimental antiparkinson medications are an ongoing facet of the research program. Gastrointestinal dysfunction in Parkinson's disease also has become a major focus of my research interest. Characterization of the clinical profile of GI dysfunction in Parkinson's disease has been undertaken and experimental treatment protocols also developed. More recently, collaborative studies investigating the underlying pathophysiology of GI dysfunction in Parkinson's disease have been instituted.
We are also investigating, via primary cell culture techniques, possible toxic factors to dopamine neurons along with studies of cytoskeletal changes that may have relevance to Lewy body formation.
- Pfeiffer RF. Neurologic manifestations of malabsorption syndromes. Handb Clin Neurol. 2014;120:621-32. doi: 10.1016/B978-0-7020-4087-0.00042-5. PubMed PMID: 24365342.
- Alcalay RN, Caccappolo E, Mejia-Santana H, Tang MX, Rosado L, Orbe Reilly M, Ruiz D, Louis ED, Comella CL, Nance MA, Bressman SB, Scott WK, Tanner CM, Mickel SF, Waters CH, Fahn S, Cote LJ, Frucht SJ, Ford B, Rezak M, Novak KE, Friedman JH, Pfeiffer RF, Marsh L, Hiner B, Payami H, Molho E, Factor SA, Nutt JG, Serrano C, Arroyo M, Ottman R, Pauciulo MW, Nichols WC, Clark LN, Marder KS. Cognitive and motor function in long-duration PARKIN-associated Parkinson disease. JAMA Neurol. 2014 Jan;71(1):62-7. doi: 10.1001/jamaneurol.2013.4498. PubMed PMID: 24190026.
- Parkinson Study Group. Phase II safety, tolerability, and dose selection study of isradipine as a potential disease-modifying intervention in early Parkinson's disease (STEADY-PD). Mov Disord. 2013 Nov;28(13):1823-31. doi: 10.1002/mds.25639. Epub 2013 Sep 30. PubMed PMID: 24123224.
- Cheshire WP, Pfeiffer RF. Is Î±-synuclein rising to the surface as a diagnostic biomarker for Parkinson disease? Neurology. 2013 Oct 29;81(18):1568-9. doi: 10.1212/WNL.0b013e3182a9f5ab. Epub 2013 Oct 2. PubMed PMID: 24089391.
- Pfeiffer RF. Autonomic dysfunction in Parkinson's disease. Expert Rev Neurother. 2012 Jun;12(6):697-706. doi: 10.1586/ern.12.17. Review. PubMed PMID: 22650172.
- Korff A, Pfeiffer B, Smeyne M, Kocak M, Pfeiffer RF, Smeyne RJ. Alterations in glutathione S-transferase pi expression following exposure to MPP+ -induced oxidative stress in the blood of Parkinson's disease patients. Parkinsonism Relat Disord. 2011 Dec;17(10):765-8. doi: 10.1016/j.parkreldis.2011.06.026. Epub 2011 Aug 12. PubMed PMID: 21840241; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3307132.