Michael C. Levin, M.D.
Department of Neurology
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology
The University of Tennessee Health Science Center
855 Monroe Avenue, Room 415
Memphis, TN 38163
Phone: (901) 448-2243
Fax: (901) 448-7440
Email: Michael C. Levin
- M.D. Institution: The Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, Pennsylvania State University
- Postdoctoral: National Institutes of Health, Neuroimmunology Branch
This laboratory studies the relationship between viruses and immune-associated diseases of the human central nervous system, particularly multiple sclerosis (MS). Specifically, they study how patients infected with HTLV-1 (human T - lymphotropic virus type I) develop HTLV-1 associated myelopathy/tropical spastic paraparesis (HAM/TSP), a demyelinating disease with similarities to MS. Current experiments focus on two major areas. First, identifying a novel auto-antibody response in HAM/TSP patients that may identify a human protein with similarities to viral proteins, an area of study known as molecular mimicry. Second, experiments are designed to identify abnormal expression of RNA using single cell analysis of abnormal areas of brain from MS and HAM/TSP patients. By identifying what cells produce in the central nervous system they hope to develop novel therapeutic strategies to help treat patients with these diseases.
- Ganta K, Malik AM, Wood JB, Levin MC. Radial contrast enhancement on brain magnetic resonance imaging diagnostic of primary angiitis of the central nervous system: a case report and review of the literature. J Med Case Rep. 2014 Jan 27;8(1):26. doi: 10.1186/1752-1947-8-26. PubMed PMID: 24468474; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3917527.
- Levin MC, Lee S, Gardner LA, Shin Y, Douglas JN, Cooper C. Autoantibodies to Non-myelin Antigens as Contributors to the Pathogenesis of Multiple Sclerosis. J Clin Cell Immunol. 2013 Jun 30;4. doi: 10.4172/2155-9899.1000148. PubMed PMID: 24363960; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3866957.
- Drevinge C, Karlsson LO, StÃ¥hlman M, Larsson T, Perman Sundelin J, Grip L, Andersson L, BorÃ©n J, Levin MC. Cholesteryl esters accumulate in the heart in a porcine model of ischemia and reperfusion. PLoS One. 2013 Apr 26;8(4):e61942. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0061942. Print 2013. PubMed PMID: 23637933; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3637450.
- Gardner LA, Desiderio DM, Groover CJ, Hartzes A, Yates CR, Zucker-Levin AR, Bloom L, Levin MC. LC-MS/MS identification of the one-carbon cycle metabolites in human plasma. Electrophoresis. 2013 Jun;34(11):1710-6. doi: 10.1002/elps.201200536. Epub 2013 Apr 23. PubMed PMID: 23417555.
- Douglas JN, Gardner LA, Lee S, Shin Y, Groover CJ, Levin MC. Antibody transfection into neurons as a tool to study disease pathogenesis. J Vis Exp. 2012 Sep 26;(67). pii: 4154. doi: 10.3791/4154. PubMed PMID: 23051967.
- Li L, Liu B, HÃ¥versen L, Lu E, Magnusson LU, StÃ¥hlman M, BorÃ©n J, BergstrÃ¶m G, Levin MC, HultÃ©n LM. The importance of GLUT3 for de novo lipogenesis in hypoxia-induced lipid loading of human macrophages. PLoS One. 2012;7(8):e42360. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0042360. Epub 2012 Aug 2. PubMed PMID: 22876317; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3410913.