Michael C. Levin, M.D.
Department of Neurology
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology
The University of Tennessee Health Science Center
855 Monroe Avenue, Room 415
Memphis, TN 38163
Phone: (901) 448-2243
Fax: (901) 448-7440
Email: Michael C. Levin
- M.D. Institution: The Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, Pennsylvania State University
- Postdoctoral: National Institutes of Health, Neuroimmunology Branch
This laboratory studies the relationship between viruses and immune-associated diseases of the human central nervous system, particularly multiple sclerosis (MS). Specifically, they study how patients infected with HTLV-1 (human T - lymphotropic virus type I) develop HTLV-1 associated myelopathy/tropical spastic paraparesis (HAM/TSP), a demyelinating disease with similarities to MS. Current experiments focus on two major areas. First, identifying a novel auto-antibody response in HAM/TSP patients that may identify a human protein with similarities to viral proteins, an area of study known as molecular mimicry. Second, experiments are designed to identify abnormal expression of RNA using single cell analysis of abnormal areas of brain from MS and HAM/TSP patients. By identifying what cells produce in the central nervous system they hope to develop novel therapeutic strategies to help treat patients with these diseases.
- Andersson L, Scharin Täng M, Lundqvist A, Lindbom M, Mardani I, Fogelstrand P, Shahrouki P, Redfors B, Omerovic E, Levin M, Borén J, Levin MC. Rip2 modifies VEGF-induced signalling and vascular permeability in myocardial ischaemia. Cardiovasc Res. 2015 Jun 30. pii: cvv186. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 26130752.
- Levin MC, Jackson WC. Developing a therapeutic plan for treating MS: evidence for new treatments. J Clin Psychiatry. 2014 Dec;75(12):e34. doi: 10.4088/JCP.12100nr8c. PubMed PMID: 25551246.
- Meyers L, Groover CJ, Douglas J, Lee S, Brand D, Levin MC, Gardner LA. A role for Apolipoprotein A-I in the pathogenesis of multiple sclerosis. J Neuroimmunol. 2014 Dec 15;277(1-2):176-85. doi: 10.1016/j.jneuroim.2014.10.010. Epub 2014 Oct 30. PubMed PMID: 25468275.
- Johansson ME, Zhang XY, Edfeldt K, Lundberg AM, Levin MC, Borén J, Li W, Yuan XM, Folkersen L, Eriksson P, Hedin U, Low H, Sviridov D, Rios FJ, Hansson GK, Yan ZQ. Innate immune receptor NOD2 promotes vascular inflammation and formation of lipid-rich necrotic cores in hypercholesterolemic mice. Eur J Immunol. 2014 Oct;44(10):3081-92. doi: 10.1002/eji.201444755. Epub 2014 Aug 25. PubMed PMID: 25042478.
- Levin MC, Borén J. The extracellular matrix protein MAGP1 is a key regulator of adipose tissue remodeling during obesity. Diabetes. 2014 Jun;63(6):1858-9. doi: 10.2337/db14-0331. PubMed PMID: 24853903.
- Ganta K, Malik AM, Wood JB, Levin MC. Radial contrast enhancement on brain magnetic resonance imaging diagnostic of primary angiitis of the central nervous system: a case report and review of the literature. J Med Case Rep. 2014 Jan 27;8:26. doi: 10.1186/1752-1947-8-26. PubMed PMID: 24468474; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3917527.