Fu-Ming Zhou, Ph.D.
Department of Pharmacology
The University of Tennessee Health Science Center
874 Union Avenue
Memphis, TN 38163
Phone: (901) 448-1779
Lab: 315 Crowe Building
Email: Fu-Ming Zhou
- Ph.D. Institution: Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Postdoctoral: Department of Neurobiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham
Dr. Zhou currently conducts a multidisciplinary research program designed to determine the molecular, cellular and neuropharmacological mechanisms of the brain monoamine systems. Particular attention is being paid to the contributions of these monoamine systems to neuropsychiatric disorders such as Parkinson's disease, depression, schizophrenia, drug abuse, and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). We use rodents as our experimental animals. Mutant mice are used in specific cases.
Several techniques are used in the laboratory:
- Electrophysiology-patch clamp
- Molecular biology (single cell RT-PCR in combination with patch clamp; gene expression profiling and manipulation)
- Electrochemistry (fast cyclic voltammetry at the carbon fiber microelectrode; HPLC)
- Immunohistochemistry (double and triple immunolabeling, confocal microscopy)
Dr. Zhou's research is funded by R01 grants from the National Institute on Drug Abuse and National Institute of Mental Health and grants from private foundations.
- Cao LF, Peng XY, Huang Y, Wang B, Zhou FM, Cheng RX, Chen LH, Luo WF, Liu T. Restoring Spinal Noradrenergic Inhibitory Tone Attenuates Pain Hypersensitivity in a Rat Model of Parkinson's Disease. Neural Plast. 2016;2016:6383240. PubMed PMID: 27747105.
- Broussard JI, Yang K, Levine AT, Tsetsenis T, Jenson D, Cao F, Garcia I, Arenkiel BR, Zhou FM, De Biasi M, Dani JA. Dopamine Regulates Aversive Contextual Learning and Associated In Vivo Synaptic Plasticity in the Hippocampus. Cell Rep. 2016 Mar 1;14(8):1930-9. doi: 10.1016/j.celrep.2016.01.070. Epub 2016 Feb 18. PubMed PMID: 26904943; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4772154.
- Li L, Sagot B, Zhou FM. Similar L-dopa-stimulated motor activity in mice with adult-onset 6-hydroxydopamine-induced symmetric dopamine denervation and in transcription factor Pitx3 null mice with perinatal-onset symmetric dopamine denervation. Brain Res. 2015 Jul 30;1615:12-21. doi: 10.1016/j.brainres.2015.04.011. Epub 2015 May 7. PubMed PMID: 25960345.
- Ding S, Li L, Zhou FM. Robust presynaptic serotonin 5-HT(1B) receptor inhibition of the striatonigral output and its sensitization by chronic fluoxetine treatment. J Neurophysiol. 2015 May 1;113(9):3397-409. doi: 10.1152/jn.00831.2014. Epub 2015 Mar 18. PubMed PMID: 25787955; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4455558.
- Ding S, Li L, Zhou FM. Nigral dopamine loss induces a global upregulation of presynaptic dopamine D1 receptor facilitation of the striatonigral GABAergic output. J Neurophysiol. 2015 Mar 15;113(6):1697-711. doi: 10.1152/jn.00752.2014. Epub 2014 Dec 30. PubMed PMID: 25552639; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4359993.
- Liang CH, DI WY, Ren JP, Zhou FM, Hu Y, Mao HJ, Han DM. Imaging, clinical and pathological features of salivary gland adenolymphoma. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2014;18(23):3638-44. PubMed PMID: 25535134.