Local Anesthesia Course for Dental Hygienists
- 35 credit hours $1,250 per attendee
- Course Registration Form
Note: Each participant will be required to purchase the "Handbook of Local Anesthesia and Malameds Local Anesthesia Administration DVD Package- Fifth Edition" by Stanley Malamed, which can be purchased online
This is a limited attendance course. Applications will be accepted in order of receipt. Application and $500 deposit fee is required four weeks prior to the start of course with final payment due two weeks prior to the first day of class.
This course takes place on the UTHSC campus in the Humphreys General Education Building, at the corner of Madison and Dunlap. Parking is available in the parking garage located at 869 Madison Avenue, next to the building. Parking is $5.
Cancellations or transfers to future courses made less than two weeks prior to start of course will forfeit deposit.
This comprehensive, on-site course for local anesthesia administration for dental hygienist is designed to not only provide didactic training, but also to give time for interactive questions and answers. The clinical portion of the course will utilize instructors from the College of Dentistry including Dr. Sebelius and will occur in the clinics of the University of Tennessee College of Dentistry.
The goal of the course is to provide learning techniques that result in a dental hygienist with complete academic and clinical knowledge to provide safe and competent local anesthesia for their patients.
2011 Course Dates
Option I: FebruaryFEB COURSE POSTPONED Day 1 Wednesday, February 2ndCOURSE POSTPONED Day 2 Thursday, February 3rdCOURSE POSTPONED Day 3 Thursday, February 10thCOURSE POSTPONED Day 4 Friday, February 11thCOURSE POSTPONED Day 5 One Day during the week of February 14COURSE POSTPONED
Option II: October/November
- Day 1 Monday, October 17th
- Day 2 Tuesday, October 18th
- Day 3 Monday, October 24th
- Day 4 Tuesday, October 25th
- Day 5 One day during the week of October 31
- Day 1 8:30-5:00 (with 1 hour for lunch)
- Day 2 8:30-5:00 (with 1 hour for lunch)
- Day 3 8:30-5:00 (with 1 hour for lunch)
- Day 4 8:30-5:00 (with 1 hour for lunch)
- Day 5 Scheduled Day in the dental School Clinics
Day 1 8:30-5:00 (with 1 hour for lunch)
- Course intro, medio-legal considerations, and course requirements
- Concepts of pain control and patient management
- Psychological evaluation of pain management
- Patient evaluation, physical and medical
- Review of clinical anatomy, trigeminal nerve, osseous considerations
Day 2 8:30-5:00 (with 1 hour for lunch)
- Local Anesthesia and Solutions
- Anesthesia cartridge
- Armamentarium for local anesthesia
- Basic infiltration techniques
- Maxillary conduction techniques
- Mandibular conduction techniques
Day 3 8:30-5:00 (with 1 hour for lunch)
- Aberrant innervations
- Technique films
- Complications (local and systemic)
- Medical Emergencies in the dental office
- Drugs and equipment
- Diagnosis and management of medical emergencies
Day 4 8:30-10:30 Course Review
- 11:00-1:00 Final Comprehensive Examination
Day 5 Scheduled Day in the dental school clinics
- Individual demonstration and administration of local anesthesia injections.
The University of Tennessee College of Dentistry is an ADA CERP Recognized Provider. ADA CERP is a service of the American Dental Association to assist dental professionals in identifying quality providers of continuing dental education. ADA CERP does not approve or endorse individual courses or instructors, nor does it imply acceptance of credit hours by boards of dentistry.
The University of Tennessee designates this activity for 35 hours continuing education credits.