Policies and Procedures

Criminal Records Checks

The University of Tennessee Health Science Center employment application requires applicants to answer whether or not they have been convicted of any criminal offense other than a minor traffic citation. Employment decisions are based upon the overall record of the applicant, and a criminal record, if relevant to the job in question, can be consideration.

Sexual Assault

The definition of sexual assault includes rape, fondling, exposure to or forced participation in pornography, exhibitionism, and attempted rapes.

What to Do If You Have Been Sexually Assaulted:

  1. Go to a safe place and seek campus assistance through: University Health 448-5630 or after 5:00 p.m. 541-5654 Student Behavioral Health 448-5064 or after 5:00 p.m. 541-5654 Campus Police 448-4444 Memphis Sexual Assault Resource Center (MSARC) 272-2020 Memphis Police Department 911
  2. Do NOT take a shower, douche or change clothes.
  3. You must make an informed decision of whether or not to report the sexual assault.

CONS - If you report a sexual assault to campus administration, UT Police or the Memphis Police Department, such a report will become public record.

PROS - If you decide to report a sexual assault, this will

  • allow the police to assist you in obtaining medical services.
  • assure you immediate safety.
  • allow the police to pursue the perpetrator more efficiently.
  • allow police to gather physical evidence from the assault.
  • provide increased security for others on campus.

PLEASE NOTE: Reporting an incident is a separate step from choosing to prosecute. When you file a report, you are not obligated to continue with legal proceedings or university disciplinary action.


  • University Health Services can be of service by calling 448-5630 (day time) or 541-5654 (evening/weekends).
  • Student Behavioral Health at 448-5064 (daytime) or 541-5654 (evenings/weekends).
  • Memphis Sexual Assault Resource Center (MSARC) at 272-2020 from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Or you may choose to consult a private physician or go to an emergency department of your choice. However, emergency departments are required to report aggravated assaults. An aggravated assault is defined as a sexual assault which involves a weapon.

If You Choose to Report a Sexual Assault

Call UT Police who will assist in providing security for you, will contact Student Mental Health, and make arrangements for you to be seen at the MSARC.

A sexual assault victim should seek medical treatment and/or counseling to:

  • minimize emotional and physical trauma
  • facilitate collection of evidence
  • test for sexually transmitted diseases
  • obtain treatment of possible injuries
  • provide a pregnancy prophylaxis if desired

Services provided through MSARC:

  • emotional, legal and medical support
  • collection of physical and material evidence
  • emotional support to family members
  • equitable access to the criminal justice system
  • court escort service

Student Mental Health Services can provide emotional support for the victim as well as maintain confidentiality. A counselor is available at all times. Medical and psychological follow-up is available as long as needed.

Contact Us

740 Court Avenue
Memphis, TN 38163
Phone: (901) 448-4444
Email: utpolice@uthsc.edu