All application information should be submitted to the Department of Surgery through the Electronic Residency Application System (ERAS). All eligible applications are accepted. The application deadline is November 1, 2012.
Applicant Eligibility (GME Policy #110)
- Graduates of LCME-approved US and Canadian medical schools
- International Medical Graduates who have valid ECFMG certificates of who have completed a Fifth Pathway program provided by and LCME-accredited medical school
- Graduates of American Osteopathic Assoc accredited Osteopathic Medical Schools
Visa Status – Visa status for international Medical Graduates must fall within the following categories
- Eligible to seek J-1 visa
- Permanent Resident or Alien status (i.e. “greencard”)
- In accordance with UT GME guidelines, this program does not sponsor residents for “H” type visas.
Interviews are required for consideration. Invitations will be sent beginning in September. Applicants are selected for interview based on:
- Medical school transcript
- Personal statement
- Three letters of recommendation
- USMLE or COMLEX scores
To ensure that all residents/fellows meet minimal standards, the Graduate Medical Education Program requires that all residents/fellows entering any Memphis-based graduate medical education program sponsored by the University of Tennessee College of Medicine on or after July 1, 2009 must have passed USMLE Steps 1 and 2 (CK and CS) or equivalent examinations (COMLEX-USA or MCCQE).
Any Agreement of Appointment or offer letter will be contingent upon passing Steps 1 and 2 (or equivalent exams). Each resident/fellow is responsible for providing copies of passage of Steps 1 and 2 (CK and CS) or equivalent examinations to the program director and GME Office and will not be allowed to start training until this documentation is submitted. A valid ECFMG certificate will be accepted as proof for international medical school graduates.
Accepted or matched residents and fellows who have not passed Steps 1 and 2 (or equivalent examinations) by July 1 will be released from their contract.
- US Clinical Experience (USCE) is not required; however, it is encouraged.
Applicants are selected for residency based on the above criteria and on personal interviews. UTHSC sponsors J1 visas ONLY.
Interview Dates 2012-2013
- November 7, 14, 28
- December 12, 19
- January 9, 16
There is a meet and greet held on Tuesday evening before each interview session at Bosco’s Squared Restaurant. Interviews begin the next day at 7:15 a.m. and end approximately 4:30 p.m. Hotel information will be forwarded to scheduled applicants.
Brief Interview schedule:
- Dinner with residents
- Overview by Dr. Pritchard
- Tour Methodist University Hospital
- Tour Memphis
- Morbidity and Mortality Conference
- Grand Rounds
- Lunch with residents
- Interview with faculty members and Dr. Fabian, Chairman
- Tour Elvis Presley Trauma Center
Mrs. Cynthia Tooley
Department of Surgery