Regan Williams, M.D.
Dr. Regan Williams graduated Summa Cum Laude from Austin Peay State University in Clarksville, TN. After graduating with a double major in Biology and Chemistry, she went on to study medicine at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center in Memphis, TN. Memphis became her home, and she completed her graduate education earning her medical degree, completing her general surgical residency at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center and a fellowship in pediatric surgery at Le Bonheur Children's Hospital. Following her fellowship training, she accepted a position as Assistant Professor of Surgery at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center.
During her residency, Dr. Williams received extra training in basic science research focusing on angiogenesis inhibition in solid tumors at St Jude Children's Research Hospital. She was also active in clinical research projects centered on traumatic injuries and appendicitis. She is currently a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons and the American Association of Pediatrics, a Member of the Tennessee Medical Association, Memphis Medical Society, Association of Women Surgeons, the American Pediatric Surgical Association and the Association of Academic Surgeons.
At Le Bonheur Children's Hospital, Dr. Williams directs the Burn program and the Vascular Anomalies program. She is completing a Master's of Science degree in Epidemiology and plans to focus her research efforts on developing evidence based guidelines for the treatment of pediatric trauma and surgical disease. She is board certified in general and pediatric surgery and has published 30 peer-reviewed articles.
University and Hospital Appointments
- Assistant Professor, Surgery and Pediatrics
- The University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, TN
Post Graduate Training
- Residency: The University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, TN
- Pediatric Surgery Fellowship University of Tennessee, Le Bonheur Children's Hospital, Memphis, TN
- Puligandla PS, Grabowski J, Austin M, Hedrick H, Renaud E, Arnold M, Williams RF, Graziano K, Dasgupta R, McKee M, Lopez ME, Jancelewicz T, Goldin A, Downard CD, Islam S. Management of congenital diaphragmatic hernia: A systematic review from the APSA outcomes and evidence based practice committee. J Pediatr Surg. 2015 Nov;50(11):1958-70. doi: 10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2015.09.010. Epub 2015 Sep 21. Review. PubMed PMID: 26463502.
- Sandoval JA, Williams RF. Neonatal Germ Cell Tumors. Curr Pediatr Rev. 2015;11(3):205-15. PubMed PMID: 26168938.
- Bishop MW, Somerville JM, Bahrami A, Kaste SC, Interiano RB, Wu J, Mao S, Boop FA, Williams RF, Pappo AS, Samant S. Mesenchymal Chondrosarcoma in Children and Young Adults: A Single Institution Retrospective Review. Sarcoma. 2015;2015:608279. doi: 10.1155/2015/608279. Epub 2015 Jun 3. PubMed PMID: 26146478; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4469840.
- Savoie KB, Huang EY, Aziz SK, Blakely ML, Dassinger S, Dorale AR, Duggan EM, Harting MT, Markel TA, Moore-Olufemi SD, Shah SR, St Peter SD, Tsao K, Wyrick DL,Williams RF. Improving gastroschisis outcomes: does birth place matter? J Pediatr Surg. 2014 Dec;49(12):1771-5. doi: 10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2014.09.019. Epub 2014 Nov 8. PubMed PMID: 25487481.
- Williams RF, Interiano RB, Paton E, Eubanks JW, Huang EY, Langham MR, Blakely ML. Impact of a randomized clinical trial on children with perforated appendicitis. Surgery. 2014 Aug;156(2):462-6. doi: 10.1016/j.surg.2014.03.039. Epub 2014 May 27. PubMed PMID: 24878457.
- Sedlacik J, Myers A, Loeffler RB, Williams RF, Davidoff AM, Hillenbrand CM. A dedicated automated injection system for dynamic contrast-enhanced MRI experiments in mice. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2013 Mar;37(3):746-51. doi:10.1002/jmri.23810. Epub 2012 Sep 21. PubMed PMID: 23001593; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3529995.
- Myers AL, Williams RF, Giles K, Waters TM, Eubanks JW 3rd, Hixson SD, Huang EY, Langham MR Jr, Blakely ML. Hospital cost analysis of a prospective, randomized trial of early vs interval appendectomy for perforated appendicitis in children. J Am Coll Surg. 2012 Apr;214(4):427-34; discussion 434-5. doi:10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2011.12.026. Epub 2012 Feb 17. PubMed PMID: 22342789.
- Denbo JW, Williams RF, Orr WS, Sims TL, Ng CY, Zhou J, Spence Y, Morton CL, Nathwani AC, Duntsch C, Pfeffer LM, Davidoff AM. Continuous local delivery of interferon-β stabilizes tumor vasculature in an orthotopic glioblastoma xenograft resection model. Surgery. 2011 Sep;150(3):497-504. doi:10.1016/j.surg.2011.07.044. PubMed PMID: 21878236; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3164960.
- Magnotti LJ, Zarzaur BL, Fischer PE, Williams RF, Myers AL, Bradburn EH, Fabian TC, Croce MA. Improved survival after hemostatic resuscitation: does the emperor have no clothes? J Trauma. 2011 Jan;70(1):97-102. doi: 10.1097/TA.0b013e3182051691. PubMed PMID: 21217487.
- Gosain A, Williams RF, Blakely ML. Distinguishing acute from ruptured appendicitis preoperatively in the pediatric patient. Adv Surg. 2010;44:73-85. Review. PubMed PMID: 20919515.
Board Certifications and Certificates
- American Board of Surgery, General Surgery
- American Board of Surgery, Pediatric Surgery
- Le Bonheur Children's Hospital, Memphis, TN
Dr. Williams enjoys live music and being with her family. She, and her husband Blake Williams, enjoy spending time with their three children.