Eunice Huang, MD, MS
Dr. Huang attended college at Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut. After studying medicine at the University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, she completed her general surgery residency at the Los Angeles County + University of Southern California Medical Center. She then came to the University of Tennessee Health Science Center and completed a fellowship in pediatric surgery at the Le Bonheur Children's Hospital. Following her fellowship training, she accepted a position as Assistant Professor of Surgery at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center.
Dr. Huang has a Master's degree in Epidemiology through the UT Department of Preventive Medicine. She is currently a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, a Member of the Association for Academic Surgery, American Pediatric Surgical Association, American Academy of Pediatrics - Section on Surgery, American Medical Association, Association of Women Surgeons, and the American Medical Informatics Association.
Research and Interests
- Hirschsprung's Disease
- Anorectal Malformation
- Necrotizing Enterocolitis
- Outcomes Research
- Health and Biomedical Informatics
- Associate Professor of Surgery and Pediatrics
- Program Director, Pediatric Surgery Residency Program
- Director, Pediatric Surgery Clinical Research Fellowship
- Chief Research Biomedical Informatics Officer, Children’s Foundation Research Institute
- University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA
Post Graduate Training
- Residency: University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA
- Pediatric Surgery Fellowship University of Tennessee, Le Bonheur Children's Hospital, Memphis, TN
- Putnam LR, Levy SM, Blakely ML, Lally KP, Wyrick DL, Dassinger MS, Russell RT, Huang EY, Vogel AM, Streck CJ, Kawaguchi AL, Calkins CM, St Peter SD, Abbas PI, Lopez ME, Tsao K; Pediatric Surgical Research Collaborative. A multicenter, pediatric quality improvement initiative improves surgical wound class assignment, but is it enough? J Pediatr Surg. 2015 Oct 20. pii: S0022-3468(15)00657-0. doi: 10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2015.10.046. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 26590473.
- Dassinger MS, Renaud EJ, Goldin A, Huang EY, Russell RT, Streck CJ, Tang X, Blakely ML. Use of real-time ultrasound during central venous catheter placement: Results of an APSA survey. J Pediatr Surg. 2015 Jul; 50(7):1162-7. doi: 10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2015.03.003. Epub 2015 Mar 13. PubMed PMID: 25783346.
- Pershad J, Waters TM, Langham MR Jr, Li T, Huang EY. Cost-effectiveness of diagnostic approaches to suspected appendicitis in children. J Am Coll Surg. 2015 Apr; 220(4):738-46. doi: 10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2014.12.019. Epub 2014 Dec 20. PubMed PMID: 25667142.
- Levy SM, Lally KP, Blakely ML, Calkins CM, Dassinger MS, Duggan E, Huang EY, Kawaguchi AL, Lopez ME, Russell RT, St Peter SD, Streck CJ, Vogel AM, Tsao K; Pediatric Surgery Research Collaborative. Surgical wound misclassification: a multicenter evaluation. J Am Coll Surg. 2015 Mar; 220(3):323-9. doi: 10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2014.11.007. Epub 2014 Nov 20. PubMed PMID: 25532617.
- Savoie KB, Huang EY, Aziz SK, Blakely ML, Dassinger S, Dorale AR, Duggan EM, Harting MT, Markel TA, Moore-Olufemi SD, Shah SR, St Peter SD, Tsao K, Wyrick DL, Williams RF. Improving gastroschisis outcomes: does birth place matter? J Pediatr Surg. 2014 Dec; 49(12):1771-5. doi: 10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2014.09.019. Epub 2014 Nov 8. PubMed PMID: 25487481.
- Williams RF, Interiano RB, Paton E, Eubanks JW, Huang EY, Langham MR, Blakely ML. Impact of a randomized clinical trial on children with perforated appendicitis. Surgery. 2014 Aug; 156(2):462-6. doi: 10.1016/j.surg.2014.03.039. Epub 2014 May 27. PubMed PMID: 24878457.
- Tillman EM, Norman JL, Huang EY, Lazar LF, Crill CM. Evaluation of parenteral nutrition-associated liver disease in infants with necrotizing enterocolitis before and after the implementation of feeding guidelines. Nutr Clin Pract. 2014 Apr; 29(2):234-7. doi: 10.1177/0884533614522834. Epub 2014 Feb 25. PubMed PMID: 24569791.
- Saucier A, Huang EY, Emeremni CA, Pershad J. Prospective evaluation of a clinical pathway for suspected appendicitis. Pediatrics. 2014 Jan; 133(1):e88-95. doi: 10.1542/peds.2013-2208. Epub 2013 Dec 30. PubMed PMID: 24379237.
- Blakely ML, Kao LS, Tsao K, Huang EY, Tsai A, Tanaka S, Younas S, Lu Z, Lally KP; Pediatric Surgery Research Collaborative. Adherence of randomized trials within children's surgical specialties published during 2000 to 2009 to standard reporting guidelines. J Am Coll Surg. 2013 Sep; 217(3):394-399.e7. doi: 10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2013.03.032. PubMed PMID: 23969114.
- Huang EY, Tolley EA, Blakely ML, Langham MR. Changes in hospital utilization and management of Hirschsprung disease: analysis using the kids' inpatient database. Ann Surg. 2013 Feb; 257(2):371-5. doi: 10.1097/SLA.0b013e31827ee976. PubMed PMID: 23263193.
Board Certifications and Certificates
- American Board of Surgery, General Surgery
- American Board of Surgery, Pediatric Surgery
- Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital, Memphis, TN
Dr. Huang is married to Raymond Gardocki and they have three children - Alex, TJ and Ryan.