SASS Testing Guidelines
Arranging Make-Up Exams in SASS (Disability Related Excused Absences)
The following guidelines describe the process whereby students currently registered with SASS for a documented disability can arrange to make-up an exam due to an absence directly related to a previously disclosed and documented disability.
- Students must follow the professor's policy regarding notification of an absence from an exam. The reason/diagnosis for which the absence is based need only be shared with the SASS staff.
- Students aware that they will miss an exam prior to its administration must notify SASS by email as soon as possible, prior to the exam.
- the student is not able to notify SASS due to an unexpected absence it is expected that they notify the SASS in writing within 12 hours of the original exam administration time.
- Within 5 working days the student must provide SASS with a written explanation/medical excuse from the diagnosing clinician. Once written notification is received, SASS can verify the absence, if needed, for the professor.
- The notification must include information that directly supports the need for the absence from an exam based on a documented disability on file with SASS. This explanation must be from a professional, on letterhead, and include a projected date for return to campus.
- Students must follow the professor's policy regarding make-up exams. If taking a makeup exam in the SASS, follow SASS procedures for regular exam administration.
- Faculty members should contact SASS if they desire verification of the disability-related absence from an exam. Faculty members must refrain from asking the student for specific and detailed documentation of the excused absence as such explanations/documentation constitute a violation of the student's privacy rights.
- When providing a make-up exam for a student with a disability-related excused absence, faculty members must administer the same make-up exam given to all other students, provided that the make-up exam is given at the same time for all students.
- Should it be necessary to prepare a separate make-up exam for any student (disability or not), faculty members must provide an exam that is comparable to the original with respect to the types of questions, length of exam, and complexity of the questions.
SASS should not be contacted unless the absence is directly related to a disability that has been documented by SASS. Absences that are not attributable to a documented disability must be handled according to the professor's written policy regarding missed exams.
Arranging Make-Up Exams in SASS (Non-Disability Related))
- Students must adhere to the professor's policy regarding notification of an absence from an exam.
- For professors scheduling a make-up exam on behalf of a student, it is asked that the professor email the student and cc: Laurie Brooks (email@example.com) regarding testing arrangements. This will ensure that communication has been made with the student and professor/College so that SASS can schedule the exam for the date/time approved by the professor/College.
- For students scheduling a make-up exam in the SASS, the student must email the professor/College and cc: Laurie Brooks on the email regarding specific testing arrangements. Any emails the student may have received from a professor regarding testing arrangements should be forwarded to Laurie Brooks so that SASS can ensure communication between both the student and professor and that the professor has given the approval to schedule the exam for a particular day/time. Students cannot schedule a test in the SASS without the approval of the professor.
- Due to the amount of testing that takes place in SASS, it is important that we be notified as soon as testing arrangements have been made. All tests MUST be scheduled in advance in the SASS to ensure a proctor for the exam and to guarantee testing space in the SASS.
- Policy states that students may not miss or be tardy for a class due to testing in SASS. If a make-up exam will interfere with anything on the student's schedule, approval of the professor/course director is needed.
- Make-up exams can be taken in SASS between the hours of 8:00am-1:00pm and 2:00pm-5:00pm. SASS is closed from 1:00pm-2:00pm for lunch. All exams must be completed by 5:00pm, so please keep this in mind when making testing arrangements.
- An Exam Registry Form should be provided for any test take in SASS. The form can be printed from the SASS webpage, sent to you via email, or picked up in the SASS office. This form allows SASS to know the specific information related to the proctoring of the test, such as password information, the length of time the student has for the test, and/or special instructions regarding the use of a calculator, scratch paper, notes, etc.
8 S. Dunlap GEB, Rm BB9
Memphis, TN 38163