The University of Tennessee Policies on Safety and Health
SUBJECT: P. HAZARDOUS MATERIAL SAFETY
Each campus, location or health care facility will establish a program for the safe handling of those materials which may be hazardous in their use or disposal, including biological and pathological materials.
The hazardous material program of the campus or unit shall comply with all existing state, federal and local codes, ordinances and laws relating to the transportation, use, storage and disposal of whatever may be determined by those regulations to be "hazardous."* The program shall be communicated and available to all departments and persons who may be in contact with these materials and/or subject to the regulations governing these materials.
It shall be the Campus SO's responsibility to evaluate, coordinate and administer this program.
The program will include:
- Identification and evaluation of hazardous materials.
- Safety procedures for the handling of hazardous materials.
- Inventory of chemicals and material safety data sheets.
- Proper labeling and storage of hazardous materials.
- Proper and lawful means of the transportation and disposal of hazardous materials, including the designation of a responsible person or unit to supervise the storage and the disposal of the hazardous materials.
- The communication of the program to those persons who may be affected by these and the training of those persons.
- There shall be an annual evaluation of the compliance and currency of the program.
In the event of any cited violation by federal, state, or local regulatory agencies, immediate notification and proposed remedy of same shall be made to the Campus SO and the UWA Safety Office.
*See Subject: L. Environmental Protection, P. 19, regarding
licenses, permits and authorization.
Safety Affairs Main Office
S110 Van Vleet
Memphis, Tennessee 38163