The University of Tennessee Policies on Safety and Health
SUBJECT: K. NON-IONIZING RADIATION SAFETY
Each campus, location and health care facility shall establish the appropriate safety and health procedure and review all non-ionizing radiation usage, including lasers and microwaves. Such procedures shall address usage, condition and health exposures of those involved.
The following procedures shall be established relating directly to the use of lasers. These shall include, but are not limited to:
- Basic personal protection, including eye protection for users and observers.
- Training of employees and students in the proper use and safety handling of these devices.
- Registration of all lasers with the Campus SO, including their location, wave length and power.
- Labeling of all laser equipment with wave length and power.
- Hazard warning signs in areas where lasers are in use and a risk of injury is present.
- The immediate report of any incidents or accidents involving these devices.
- The ANSI Z136.1-4-6.2.4 standard shall be considered the appropriate standard for the University for protective eyewear.
- It shall be the responsibility of the Campus SO to monitor the compliance of the procedures established for the use of these devices.
Safety Affairs Main Office
C234 Van Vleet
Memphis, Tennessee 38163