Possible Benefits to Participants
Consider the following benefits from participating in the Program during your option period. You may:
- Explore a question or problem that is of interest to you.
- Gain a broader perspective on your profession. Will make you a better physician.
- Make a meaningful contribution to the research program of your preceptor and his/her
scientific efforts. Participation is more than just an "experience". Research fellows
have a defined project with a definitive end-point.
- Publish the results of your project as a full manuscript or abstract, make a slide
or poster presentation at a scientific meeting, or win a research prize. About 50%
of former Program participants have accomplished at least one of the above.
- Work with and get to know a faculty investigator and/or group of investigators who
might serve as references for future letters of recommendation.
- Help in residency placement. You can add to your resume and have an opportunity to
distinguish yourself in a research project compared to most other residency applicants.
- Address and gain an in-depth understanding of a scientific health-related problem.
- Have a productive and enjoyable summer. The vast majority of former participants
have reported very positive overall experiences.
- Receive a stipend of $1,731 per month or $5,193 for a full 3-month fellowship appointment
- Explore a possible career path.