Changing PI on a Grant
The University may request a change in PI on a grant for any of the following reasons:
- The PI transfers to industry or to another institution and is ineligible to continue the project.
- The PI transfers to another university that is ineligible to receive funds.
- Untimely death, serious illness, or injury renders the PI unable to continue work on the project.
- Change in the percentage of effort available by the PI to work on the project.
- Change of circumstances that requires the PI's continued absence from the university or project for more than 3 months (e.g., sabbatical or military leave).
- Other circumstances that, in the opinion of the University, necessitate a change in PI.
To request a change in PI, a letter similar to the sample found at http://www.uthsc.edu/research/research_administration/docs/
SamplePIChangeLetter.doc is submitted to the funding agency. The letter must be signed by the original PI (if available), proposed new PI, department chair, and institutional official (ORA). The letter should state the reason for the request and include information (e.g., a current CV) on the qualifications of the proposed PI for assuming responsibility for the project.
Deborah L. Smith, Ed.D.
Associate Vice Chancellor for Research
Office of Research
910 Madison, Suite 823
Memphis, TN 38163
Phone: (901) 448-4823
Fax: (901) 448-7133