Kaushik Parthasarathi, Ph.D.
1989 Bachelor of Engineering, Instrumentation & Control; Bharathiar University, India
1993 Master of Science, Biomedical Engineering; Medical College of Virginia, VA
1999 Doctor of Philosophy, Bioengineering; the Pennsylvania State University, PA
Research in the laboratory aims to understand the cellular signaling mechanisms underlying the development of spatially extensive inflammation that is characteristic of acute lung injury and acute respiratory distress syndrome. The focus of the present studies is on intercellular communication and gap junctions. The studies will determine the role of the gap junction protein, connexin in mediating the spatial spread of inflammation.
Studies are done using both in vivo and ex vivo rodent organ preparations visualized using wide-angle and confocal microscopy.
- Kandasamy, K and K. Parthasarathi. Quantifying single microvessel permeability in
isolated blood-perfused rat lung preparation. JoVE (in press)
Wilhelm KR, Roan E, Ghosh MC, Parthasarathi K and Waters CM. Hyperoxia increases the elastic modulus of alveolar epithelial cells through Rho kinase. FEBS J. Feb;281(3):957-69, 2014
- Kandasamy K, L. Bezavada, R. Escue and K. Parthasarathi. Lipopolysaccharide Induces Endoplasmic Store Ca2+-Dependent Inflammatory Responses in Lung Microvessels. PLOS One8(5):e63465. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0063465, 2013
- Parthasarathi K. Endothelial connexin43 mediates acid-induced increases in pulmonary microvascular permeability. Am J Physiol ? Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 303(1):L33-42, 2012
- Kandasamy K, G. Sahu, and K. Parthasarathi. Real-time imaging reveals endothelium-mediated leukocyte retention in LPS-treated lung microvessels. Microvasc Res. 83(3):323-31, 2012
- Makena PS, Gorantla VK, Ghosh MC, Bezawada L, Kandasamy K, Balazs L, Luellen CL, Thompson KE, Parthasarathi K, Ichijo H, Waters CM, Sinclair SE. Deletion of apoptosis signal regulating kinase-1 prevents ventilator-induced lung injury in mice. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 46(4):461-9, 2012.
- Parthasarathi K, and J. Bhattacharya. Localized acid instillation by a wedged-catheter method reveals a role for vascular gap junctions in spatial expansion of acid injury. Anatomical Record. 294(9): 1585?1591, 2011
- Makena PS, Gorantla VK, Ghosh MC, Bezawada L, Balazs L, Luellen CL, Parthasarathi K, Waters CM, Sinclair SE. Lung injury caused by high tidal volume mechanical ventilation and hyperoxia is dependent on oxidant-mediated c-Jun NH2-terminal kinase (JNK) activation. J Appl Physiol. 111(5):1467-76, 2011.
- Makena PS, C. Luellen, L. Balazs, M. Ghosh, K. Parthasarathi, C. Waters, S. Sinclair. Preexposure to hyperoxia causes increased lung injury and epithelial apoptosis in mice ventilated with high tidal volumes. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 299(5):L711-9, 2010.
- Kiefmann R, Islam M, Lindert J, Parthasarathi K, and Bhattacharya J. Paracrine purinergic signaling determines lung endothelial nitric oxide production. Am J Physiol - Lung Cell & Molecular Physiology. 296(6):L901-10. 2009
- Bertuglia S, Ichimura H, Fossati G, Parthasarathi K, Leoni F, Modena D, Cremonesi P, Bhattacharya J, Mascagni P. ITF1697, a Stable Lys-Pro-Containing Peptide, Inhibits Weibel-Palade Body Exocytosis Induced by Ischemia/Reperfusion and Pressure Elevation. Mol Med. 13(11-12):615-24, 2007.
- Lindert J, Perlman CE, Parthasarathi K, Bhattacharya J. Chloride-dependent secretion of alveolar wall liquid determined by optical-sectioning microscopy. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 36(6):688-96, 2006. PubMed
- K. Parthasarathi, H. Ichimura, E. Monma, J. Lindert, S. Quadri, A. Issekutz, and J. Bhattacharya. Connexin 43 mediates spread of Ca2+ dependent proinflammatory responses in lung capillaries. J Clin Invest. 116: 2193-200, 2006. PubMed
- Ichimura H*, K. Parthasarathi*, J. Lindert, J. Bhattacharya. Lung surfactant secretion by inter-alveolar Ca2+ signaling. Am J Physiol - Lung Cell & Molecular Physiology. 291: L596-601, 2006. (*both authors contributed equally) PubMed
- Padilla J, E. Daley, A. Chow, K. Robinson, K. Parthasarathi, A. McKenzie, T. Tschernig, V. Kurup, D. Donaldson, G. Grunig. IL-13 regulates the immune response to inhaled antigens. J Immunol. 174(12): 8097-105, 2005.
- Ichimura H*, K. Parthasarathi*, A. Issekutz, J. Bhattacharya. Pressure-induced leukocyte margination in lung postcapillary venules. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 289(3): L407-12, 2005. (*both authors contributed equally) PubMed
- Quadri S, K., M. Bhattacharjee, K. Parthasarathi, T. Tanita and J. Bhattacharya. Endothelial barrier strengthening by activation of focal adhesion kinase. J Biol Chem. 278(15): 13342-13349, 2003.
- Ichimura H, K. Parthasarathi, A. Issekutz, and J. Bhattacharya. Mechano-oxidative coupling by mitochondria induced P-selectin expression in pressure-stressed capillaries. J Clin Invest. 111: 691-699, 2003. PubMed
- Parthasarathi K, H. Ichimura, S. Quadri, A. Issekutz, and J. Bhattacharya. Mitochondrial reactive oxygen species regulate spatial profile of proinflammatory responses in lung venular capillaries. J Immunol. 169(12): 7078-86, 2002. PubMed
- Kuebler WM, K. Parthasarathi, P.M. Wang, J. Bhattacharya. A novel signaling mechanism
between gas and blood compartments of the lung. J Clin Invest. 105(7): 905-13, 2000. PubMedParthasarathi K, and H.H. Lipowsky. Capillary recruitment in response to tissue hypoxia
and its dependence on red blood cell deformability. Am J Physiol. 277(6 Pt 2): H2145-57, 1999. PubMed