874 Monroe Ave
Crowe Building, Room 5P
Memphis, TN 38163
Tel: (901) 448-5433
Fax: (901) 448-6940
Current Office Hours
Sarka Beranova-Giorgianni, Ph.D.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- Ph.D. Analytical Chemistry, University of Akron, Akron OH, 1995
- M.S. Organic Chemistry, Prague Institute of Chemical Technology, Prague, Czechoslovakia, 1989
The research of Dr. Beranova-Giorgianni focuses on the application of mass spectrometry and proteomics to the study of human diseases. Current areas of interest include:
- identification of potential diagnostic markers and drug targets for prostate cancer;
- characterization of the phosphoproteome in human tissues (prostate; pituitary) and cultured cells (LNCaP);
- development and optimization of new proteomics methods that incorporate state-of-the-art mass spectrometry.
The laboratory of Dr. Beranova-Giorgianni houses a ThermoElectron LTQ linear ion trap mass spectrometer coupled to a Dionex nano-liquid chromatography system. The laboratory also contains two two-dimensional gel electrophoresis systems for proteomics, and computer resources for analysis of 2D gels and for searches of protein sequence databases. Additional high-end instrumentation, including a ThermoElectron vMALDI LTQ mass spectrometer, is available in the Charles B. Stout Mass Spectrometry Laboratory.