413 Feurt Pharmacy Research Building
26 South Dunlap Street
Memphis, TN 38163
Tel: (901) 448-2357
Fax: (901) 448-6828
Current Office Hours
George C. Wood, Ph. D.
- B.S. (Pharmacy), University of Illinois, 1965
- M.S. (Pharmacy), University of Illinois, 1968
- Ph.D. (Pharmaceutics), University of Illinois, 1970
Honors and Awards
- 1979 Distinguished Public Service Award Tennessee Academy of Health Education
- 1983 Research and Education Award Memphis Chemical Club
- 1987 Research Award Memphis Chemical Club
- Rho Chi Honorary Society
- Sigma Xi Scientific Society
- American Pharmaceutical Association
- American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists
- Tennessee Pharmaceutical Association
- American Association Poison Control Centers
- Memphis/Shelby County Pharmaceutical Society
- American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Chemical Society
- Parenteral Drug Association
- Memphis Chemical Club
Development of biotechnology based, parenteral dosage forms. Educational assessment of pharmacy student performance.
- Master's Thesis - Thermodynamics of Tetracycline-Albumin Interactions, 1968.
- Ph.D. Dissertation - Transport of Anesthetic Gases and Micellular Solubilization, 1970.
- Book Chapter - "Biopharmaceutics" in Clinical Pharmacy Practice by Lea & Febiger, Philadelphia, Editor C. Blissett, 1972.
- "The Need for Mandatory Continuing Education in Pharmacy"; G. Wood. The Arizona Pharmacist, Oct. 1972.
- "Cost Effectiveness Comparison of the Pharmacist's Ability to Identify Drug Related Problems." M. Dick, H. Winship and G. Wood. Drug Intelligence and Clinical Pharmacy, 9:257, 1975.
- "Anticonvulsant Nature of Marijuana Smoking." P. Consroe, G. Wood and H. Bucksbaum. Journal American Medical Association, 234:306, 1975.
- "Peritoneal Dialysis in the Treatment of Acetohexamide-Induced Hypoglycemia, V. Skoutakis, S.R. Acchiardo, W. Black and G. Wood, American Journal of Hospital Pharmacy, 34:68-70, 1977
- A Computerized Detection System for Potentially Adverse Drug-Drug Interactions, D. Ford Jr., N. Rivers, and G. Wood, Journal of American Pharmaceutical Education, N517:354, 1977
- Role Effectiveness of the Pharmacist in the Treatment of Chronic Hemodialysis Patients, V. Skoutakis, S. R. Acchiardo, S. R. Martinez and G. C. Wood, American Journal of Hospital Pharmacy, 35, 62-65, 1978.
- Pharmacy Based Clinical Toxicology Services, V. Skoutakis and G. Wood, Clinical Toxicology Consultant, 1:3-14, 1979.
- Clinical Toxicology Consultation by Pharmacists, P.A. Czajka, V. A. Skoutakis, G.C. Wood and J. Autian, American Journal Hospitals Pharmacists, 36:1087-1098, 1979
- The Practice of Pharmacy, chapter entitled Clinical Toxicology Services, V.A. Skoutakis and G. C. Wood, Whitney Press, Cincinnati, 1981.
- "Progress in Toxicology." in E. Zbinden, G. Wood in American Journal of Pharmacy Education, 41:255, 1977.
- G. Wood, Toxicology of Cyanide Compounds, Book Chapter in Toxicology of Nondrugs, V. Skoutakis, Ed., Lea and Febiger, Philadelphia, 1984.
- A. B. Straughn, G. C. Wood, G. Raghow and M. C. Meyer, Bioavailability of Dyphylline and Dyphylline-Guiafenesin Tablets in Humans, Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 74:335-337, 1985.
- P.T.R. Hwang, J. R. Lang, G. C. Wood, and M. C. Meyer, High Performance Liquid Chromatographic Determination of Acetazolamide in Human Plasma, Journal of Liquid Chromatography, 8:1465-1474, 1985.
- A. B. Straughn, G. C. Wood and M. C. Meyer, Bioavailability of Seven Furosemide Tablets in Man, Biopharmaceutics and Drug Disposition, 7:113-120, 1986
- M. C. Meyer, G. C. Wood and A. B. Straughn, In Vitro and In Vivo Evaluation of Seven 50 mg and 100 mg Nitrofurantoin Tablets, Biopharmaceutics and Drug Disposition 10:321-329 (1989).
- T. McCall, G. Wood, and E. Jarvi , Binding of 2,3 dinitro- sec-butyl-phenol to albumins, submitted to Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology.
- G.Wood, E. Jarvi, T. McCall and E.M. Bellet, Kinetics of Dinoseb Dermal Absorption, submission to Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology
- Marvin C. Meyer, Eric J. Jarvi. George C. Wood, Vijaykumar I. Vashi, and Paul Hepp, Gastric pH and the Absorption of Controlled-Release Theophylline Products in Man, Pharmaceutical Research 6(9), S179, 1989.
- V. I. Vashi, M.C. Meyer, A. B. Straughn, E. J. Jarvi, G. C. Wood, C. T. Viswanathan and R. Velagupudi, Inluence of Gastric pH on the Absorption of Diazapam, Pharmaceutical Research 7(9), S247, 1990.
- Marvin C. Meyer, Arthur B. Straughn, Eric J. Jarvi, George C. Wood, Francis R. Pelsor and Vinod P. Shah, The Bioinequivalence of Carbamazepine Tablets with a History of Clinical Failures, Pharmaceutical Research 9, 1612-1616, 1992.
- B. Waters, K, Kudsk, E Jarvi, R. Brown, T. Fabian and G.Wood, Effect of Route of Nutrition on Recovery of Hepatic Organic Anion Clearance After Fasting. Surgery 115 No.3, 370-374, 1994.
- Stability of Deslorelin in Deslorelin Parenteral Injection George C. Wood, Chhabill Dass, Meera R. Iyer and Bhogi B. Sheth PDA Journal of Pharmaceutical Science and Technology, Vol. 51, No. 5, 176-180, 1997
- A High Pressure Liquid Chromatography Assay Method for the Analysis of Deslorelin and Benzyl Alcohol in Deslorelin Injection George C. Wood, Meera R. Iyer, Albert Fleischner and Bhogi B. Sheth Journal of Liquid Chromatography and Related Technologies 21 (14),2183-2190, 1998
- Improving Emulsification Efficiency of Lecithin by Formulation Design I: Effect of Adding a Secondary Surfactant Gopal Krishna, Geoerge C. Wood, and Bhogi B. Sheth PDA Journal of Pharmaceutical Science and Technology, Vol. 52, No. 6, 331-336, 1998
- Thoma, L. Johsnon-Singh, A. Wood G.C., Wolfe, J., Physical compatibility of 10% alcohol in 5% dextrose injection with selected drugs during simulated Y site administration, AJHP 57:2286-2287.
- Yanli Mi, George Wood, Laura Thoma, and Sahar Rashed, “Effects of Polyethylene Glycol Molecular Weight and Concentration on Lactate Dehydrogenase Activity After Freeze-thawing”. PDA Journal of Pharmaceutical Science and Technology 56:No. 3 115-123 2002
- Yanli Mi., George Wood, Yuan Gao, Brian Bothner, Ray Ramesh and Laura Thoma, Protection Mechanisms of Low and High Molecular Weight Polyethylene Glycols on Lactate Dehydrogenase. ” submitted PDA Journal of Pharmaceutical Science and Technology
- United States Pharmacopeial Convention - Curricular Resource on Sterile Product Compounding Chapters in the Curricular Resource: Compounding Sterile Drug Products
ABSTRACTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Thermodynamics of Albumin-Dinoseb Plasma Protein Binding, T. Mc Call and G. Wood, American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists, Annual Meeting, October 19, 1988, Orlando Fl.
- Management of Acute Chemical Exposures, Symposium on Acute Medical Care, Hospital Corporation of America Center for Research and Education, August 21, 1989, Nashville, Tn.
- Biopharmaceutics of Platelet Activating Factor, T. McCall and G. Wood, American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists, October 25, 1989, Atlanta, Ga.
- Noxious, Toxic and Deadly Vapors at Home, Industry and the Farm, University of Tennessee College of Medicine, Twenty-Second Annual Review Course for Family Physicians, March 17, 1989, Memphis
- Gastric pH and the Absorption of CR-Release Theophylline Products in Man, M. C. Meyer, A. B. Straughn, E. J. Jarvi, G. C. Wood, V. I. Vashi, and P. Hepp, American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists, October 23, 1989, Atlanta, Ga.
- Effect of Route of Nutrient Administration on Starvation Induced Hepatocellular Dysfunction, K.A. Kudsk, B. Waters, G.Wood, R. Brown, T. Fabian and E. Jarvi, Society of University Surgeons Annual Meeting, February 8, 1990, Los Angeles Ca.
- Influence of Gastric pH on the Absorption of Diazepam, V.I. Vashi, M.C. Meyer, A. B. Straughn, G. C. Wood, C. T. Viswanathan and R. Velagupudi, American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists Annual Meeting in Las Vegas Nv. Nov 5, 1990
- Receptor Binding of Platelet Activating Factor to Canine Hepatocytes, T. McCall, G. Wood and J. W. Lawson, American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists Annual Meeting in Las Vegas Nv. Nov 6, 1990
- Relative Bioavailability and Metabolism of 2,4 dinitro-6-sec-butyl phenol, G. Wood, T. McCall, K. Patrick, and E. Bellet, American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists Annual Meeting in Las Vegas Nv. Nov 6, 1990
- Glucagon Effect on Gastric Mechanical Activity Partially Blocked by Calcium Channel Anatagonist, B. O. Familoni, T. L. Abell, D. R. Voiller, R. Werkman, G. Wood. American Gastroenterology Association Annual Meeting, May 20, 1991, New Orleans, La.
- Effect of Route of Nutrition on Recovery of Hepatic Organic Anion Clearance After Fasting, B. Water, K. Kudsk, E. Jarvi, R. Brown, T. Fabian and G. Wood. American College of Gastroenterology Annual Meeting, San Antonio TX, May 10, 1990
- Emergency Medicine Update Conference, three hour workshop on Management of Acute Chemical Exposures, and one hour lecture to physicians and Chemical Warfare Exposures, Little Rock Ark, March 14-15, 1991
- Effectiveness of Sucralfate in a New Canine Ulcer Model, G. Wood, R. Werkman, J. Lawson, G. Olsen and T. McCall, AAPS Annual Meeting, Nov. 1991, Washington DC.
- Glucagon Effect on Gastric Mechanical Activity Blockade by a Calcium Channel Antagonist, R. Ozment, B. O. Familoni, T. L. Abell, D. R. Voeller, R. Werkman and G. Wood, American Gastroenterological Association Meeting, May 20, 1991 New Orleans, LA
- Effectiveness of Sucralfate in a New Canine Ulcer Model, G. Wood, R. Werkman, J. Lawson, G. Olsen and T. McCall, presented at the AAPS Annual Meeting, Nov. 1991, Washington DC.
- A Novel Canine Model To Evaluate the Effects of Platelet Activating Factor Induced Shock On the Pharmacokinetics of Diltiazem, Troy McCall and George Wood, submitted for the AAPS Annual Meeting, Nov 1992, San Antonio, Tx.
- Presentation - Baptist Center for Medical, Education Management of Occupational Exposures, 200 physicians, Sept 14, 1991, Nashville,
- Presentation - University of Tennessee, College of Medicine - Emergency Medicine Update Conference, Management of Acute Occupational Exposures, 170 physicians, Memphis, Tn March 14-15, 1992
- Presentation - University of Tennessee/University of Arkansas, Colleges of Medicine Emergency Medicine Conference, Management of Acute Occupational Exposures, 165 participants, Hot Springs Ark, March 25-27, 1992
- George C. Wood, Meera R. Iyer, Arthur M. Geller, Albert M. Fleischner and Bhogi B. Sheth, An HPLC Method for Analysis of Deslorelin and and Benzyl Alcohol in Deslorelin Injection, Pharmaceutical Research 10, 66,1993
- A Novel Canine Model To Evaluate the Effects of Platelet Activating Factor induced Shock On Hepatic Blood Flow and Oxidative Metbolism, Troy Mc Call and George Wood, Pharmaceutical Research 10,308, 1993
- Stability of Deslorelin in An Injectable Formulation, G. Wood, Meera Iyer, Albert Fleischner and Bhogi B Sheth, Pharmaceutical Research 10,230, 1993
- Improving Emulsification Efficacy of Lecithin By Formulation Design K: Effect of Adding aSecondary Surfactant, G. Krishna, G. C. Wood, and B. B. Sheth, Pharmaceutical Research 13, (9) S-217, 1996 American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists Annual Meeting, Seattle WA, Nov, 1996
- Lyophilization of Protein Drugs, Nycomed Pharmaceutical Company, Barcelonetta, Puerto Rico, 6 hours, May, 1998
- Evaluation Of An Oxygen Extraction Device In Slowing Oxidative Epinephrine Degradation by G. Wood, N Aksornkoae and L Thoma, Parenteral Drug Association National Meeting, Washington, D.C. November, 1998
- Cryoprotection of Polyethylene Glycols on Lactate Dehydrogenase Activity and Secondary Structure, Y. Mi, G. Wood, L. Thoma, PDA Annual Meeting 2001.
- “Freeze Thaw Protection Mechanisms of Polyethylene Glycols on Lactate Dehydrogenase”, Y. Mi, G.Wood, Y. Gao, B. Bothner, R. Ray, L. Thoma, AAPS Annual Meeting 2001.