Fellows have opportunities to learn and get involved in both clinical and basic science research. They can do research with the faculty inside and outside of the division of neonatology. The research interests of the faculty vary from basic science research in infection/ immunology to cerebral circulation and physiology. Varied clinical science projects are also underway and we have been part of several multicenter trials.
The NICU also has a database for the past 30 years which makes it easy for faculty and fellows to obtain background information for clinical projects.
Selected Recent Publications
- Caminita F, van der Merwe M, Hance B, Krishnan R, Miller S, Buddington KK, Buddington RK. A preterm pig model of lung immaturity and spontaneous infant respiratory distress syndrome. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2014 Nov 14:ajplung.00173.2014. [Epub ahead of print]
- Dereddy NR, Talati AJ, Smith A, Kudumula R, Dhanireddy R. A Multipronged Approach Is Associated with Improved Breast Milk Feeding Rates in Very Low Birth Weight Infants of an Inner-City Hospital. J Hum Lact. 2014 Oct 17. [Epub ahead of print]
- Pourcyrous M, Nolan VG, Goodwin A, Davis SL, Buddington RK. Fecal short-chain Fatty acids of very-low-birth-weight preterm infants fed expressed breast milk or formula. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2014 Dec;59(6):725-31.
- Elabiad MT, Arheart KL, Korones SB, Pourcyrous M. Adjusting for bias in C-reactive protein levels when using a vitros slide method in infants. Am J Perinatol. 2014 Nov;31(10):851-4.
- Nnorom CC, Davis C, Fedinec AL, Howell K, Jaggar JH, Parfenova H, Pourcyrous M, Leffler CW. Contributions of KATP and KCa channels to cerebral arteriolar dilation to hypercapnia in neonatal brain. Physiol Rep. 2014 Aug 28;2(8).
- Paul JA, Logan BA, Krishnan R, Heller NA, Morrison DG, Pritham UA, Tisher PW, Troese M, Brown MS, Hayes MJ. Development of auditory event-related potentials in infants prenatally exposed to methadone. Dev Psychobiol. 2014 Jul;56(5):1119-28.
- Dolapo O, Dhanireddy R, Talati AJ. Trends of Staphylococcus aureus bloodstream infections in a neonatal intensive care unit from 2000-2009. BMC Pediatr. 2014 May 9;14:121.
- Mari G, Deprest J, Schenone M, Jackson S, Samson J, Brocato B, Tate D, Sullivan R, White G, Dhanireddy R, Mandrell T, Gupta S, Skobowjat C, Slominski A, Cohen HL, Schlabritz-Loutsevitch N. A novel translational model of percutaneous fetoscopic endoluminal tracheal occlusion - baboons (Papio spp.). Fetal Diagn Ther. 2014;35(2):92-100.
- Elabiad MT, Harsono M, Talati AJ, Dhanireddy R. Effect of birth weight on the association between necrotising enterocolitis and red blood cell transfusions in <=1500 g infants. BMJ Open. 2013 Nov 27;3(11):e003823.
- Sankararaman S, Yanamandra K, Napper D, Caldito G, Dhanireddy R. The prevalence of platelet activating factor acetylhydrolase single nucleotide polymorphisms in relationship to necrotizing enterocolitis in Northwest Louisiana infants. Springerplus. 2013 Jul 2;2(1):294.
- Chilakala SK1, Boulden TF, Pourcyrous M. Ruptured remnant of urachal diverticulum: an unusual cause of congenital urinary ascites. J Perinatol. 2012 Dec;32(12):978-80.
- Dereddy N, Huang J, Erb M, Guzel S, Wolk JH, Sett SS, Gewitz MH, Mathew R. Associated inflammation or increased flow-mediated shear stress, but not pressure alone, disrupts endothelial caveolin-1 in infants with pulmonary hypertension. Pulm Circ. 2012 Oct;2(4):492-500.
- Rana D1, Abughali N, Kumar D, Super DM, Jacobs MR, Kumar ML. Staphylococcus aureus, including community-acquired methicillin-resistant S. aureus, in a level III NICU: 2001 to 2008. Am J Perinatol. 2012 Jun;29(6):401-8.
- Whitton GB, Dhanireddy R, Jain SK. Effect of prematurity on protein glycosylation in the newborn. Pediatr Int. 2011 Aug;53(4):480-2.
- Weisman LE, Thackray HM, Steinhorn RH, Walsh WF, Lassiter HA, Dhanireddy R, Brozanski BS, Palmer KG, Trautman MS, Escobedo M, Meissner HC, Sasidharan P, Fretz J, Kokai-Kun JF, Kramer WG, Fischer GW, Mond JJ. A randomized study of a monoclonal antibody (pagibaximab) to prevent staphylococcal sepsis. Pediatrics. 2011 Aug;128(2):271-9.
- Talati AJ, Koneru P. Neonates at risk for congenital syphilis: radiographic and cerebrospinal fluid evaluations. South Med J. 2011 Dec;104(12):827-30.
- Subramanian S, El-Mohandes A, Dhanireddy R, Koch MA. Association of bronchopulmonary dysplasia and hypercarbia in ventilated infants with birth weights of 500-1,499 g. Matern Child Health J. 2011 Dec;15 Suppl 1:S17-26.
- Spentzas T, Kudumula R, Acuna C, Talati AJ, Ingram KC, Savorgnan F, Meals EA, English BK. Role of bacterial components in macrophage activation by the LAC and MW2 strains of community-associated, methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Cell Immunol. 2011;269(1):46-53.
- Yanamandra K, Aryama JG, Napper D, Pramanik A, Bocchini Jr, JA, Dhanireddy R: Do NOS3 Haplotypes influence cardiopulmonary transition in premature infants? Abstract (control number 20017) accepted for inclusion in the 12th International Congress of Human Genetics. Paper presented (Poster) at the 61st Annual Meeting of the American Society Human Genetics, Montreal, Canada, October 11-15, 2011.
- Yanamandra, K, Pourcyrous M, Dhanireddy R. C-reactive Protein Gene Polymorphisms and Neonatal Sepsis. Publication Number 1155.6 Paper (Poster) presented at the 2012 Annual Meeting of Southern Society for Pediatric Research (SSPR), New Orleans, LA, Feb. 2-11, 2012.
- Upadhyay K, Dhanireddy R, Pourcyrous M, Talati AJ. Neonates Born after Multiple Gestations at the Edge of Viability A Review of Mortality and Morbidity over 20 Years. Publication Number 4526.408 Paper (Poster) presented at the 2012 Annual Meeting of Southern Society for Pediatric Research (SSPR), New Orleans, LA, Feb. 2-11, 2012.
- Upadhyay K, Dhanireddy R, Talati AJ. A 22 Year Review of Major Congenital Malformations in a Level 3 NICU. Publication Number 4524.317. Paper (Poster) presented at the 2012 Annual Meeting of Southern Society for Pediatric Research (SSPR), New Orleans, LA, Feb. 2-11, 2012.
- Dolapo O, Dhanireddy R, Talati AJ. The Demographics and Clinical Characteristics of Staphylococcus Sepsis in a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit A 10 Year Review. Platform presentation at the 2012 Annual Meeting of Southern Society for Pediatric Research (SSPR), New Orleans, LA, Feb. 2-11, 2012.
- Arrindell E, Dhanireddy R, Talati AJ. Admission Hypothermia Reduction and Its Impact on Morbidity. Paper (Poster) presented at the Pediatric Academic Societies Annual Meeting (PAS), Boston, MA, April 28, 2012. EPAS:2920.308.
- Dolapo O, Dhanireddy R, Talati AJ. Staphylococcus Sepsis in a Neonatal Intensive care unit A 10 year review. Paper (Poster) presented at the Pediatric Academic Societies Annual Meeting (PAS), Boston, MA, April 29, 2012. EPAS:1524.390.
- Atherton J and Mohamad T. Elabiad, MD, An Algorithm to Reduce the Number of C Reactive Proteins (CRP) Ordered without Affecting Patient Safety in Newborns, Poster, Fourth Annual Pediatrics Research Day, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, Tennessee Oct. 2011.
- Mimily Harsono, MD; Ramasubbareddy Dhanireddy, MD; Ajay J. Talati, MD; Mohamad T. Elabiad, MD. Association between Packed Red Blood Cell Transfusions and Necrotizing Enterocolitis in Very Low Birth Weight Infants, American Academy of Pediatrics Perinatal and Developmental Medicine Symposium Marco Island, Florida; Oral presentation; Nov. 2011.
- Matano, B.A, Krishnan R, Paul, J.A, Brown M, Hayes MJ. Neurodevelopment and Motor Sequelae in Methadone-Exposed Infants: Synergistic Effects of Alcohol (Abstract #: 754673). Platform presentation, Pediatric Academic Society meeting, Boston, May 2012.
- Jones KL, Pivnick EK, Hines-Dowel S, Weese-Mayer D, Berry-Kravis E, Santiago T, Lasater O, Nnorom C, Pourcyrous M. A triple threat: Infant presents with trisomy 21, congenital central hypoventilation syndrome, and Hirschsprung disease. Pediatric Research day. (Poster) Nov 16, 2011. Memphis, TN.
- Chilakala S, Pourcyrous M, Parfenova H, Leffler CW. Prolonged hypercapnia and cerebrovascular reactivity in newborn pigs. Pediatric Research day. (Poster) Nov 16, 2011. Memphis, TN.
- Chilakala S, Pourcyrous M, Parfenova H, Leffler CW. Prolonged hypercapnia and cerebrovascular reactivity in newborn pigs. Southern Society of Pediatric Research. New Orleans, LA, Feb 2012 (platform). Clinical Research, 2012.
- Chilakala S, Pourcyrous M, Parfenova H, Leffler CW. Prolonged hypercapnia and cerebrovascular reactivity in newborn pigs. The Society of Pediatric Research. Boston, Massachusetts, May 2012 (Platform). Pediatric Research. E-PAS 2012.
- Harsono M, Parfenova H, Leffler CW, Pourcyrous M. Head cooling protects postictal cerebrovascular function in newborn piglets. The Society of Pediatric Research. Boston, Massachusetts, May 2012 (Platform). Pediatric Research. E-PAS 2012.
- Hiregoudar B, Meals E, Talati AJ, English B. Group B streptococci exposed to azithromycin alone or with ampicillin (compared with ampicillin alone) stimulate decreased macrophage tumor necrosis factor secretion. Poster presentation at the AAP annual meeting, Section of Perinatal Pediatrics. October 14, 2011.
- Harsono M, Dhanireddy R, Talati AJ, Elabiad MT. Association between Packed Red Blood Cell Transfusions and Necrotizing Enterocolitis in Very Low Birth Weight Infants. Poster presentation at the AAP annual meeting, Section of Perinatal Pediatrics. October 14, 2011.
- Arrindell E, Talati AJ. Lactobezoar in a Neonate. Poster presentation at Southern Regional Meetings, New Orleans, February 2012.
- Hiregoudar B, Meals E, Talati AJ, English B Azithromycin (AZ) Inhibits Tumor Necrosis Factor (TNF) Secretion by Murine Macrophages Stimulated with AZ-Susceptible or AZ-Resistant Group B Streptococci. Accepted for poster presentation at PAS meetings, April 28, 2012, Boston. EPAS: 1519.33.
- Dolapo O, Dhanireddy R, Talati AJ. Staphylococcus sepsis in a Neonatal Intensive care unit- A 10 year review. Accepted for poster presentation at PAS meetings, April 29, 2012, Boston. EPAS:
- Smith K, Gruber L, Spence G, Talati AJ. My life is in your hands CLABSI reduction quality improvement project poster presentation at NICQ7 collaborative meeting in Denver, March 2012.