Dr. Tom Spentzas
Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Preventive Medicine
Dr. Spentzas graduated in 1983 from National Kapodistrian University, Athens Medical School, Greece. He served in the Army as a physician and was a Pediatric Resident and a Pediatric Fellow in Pediatric Critical Care at Albert Einstein College of Medicine in Bronx, New York where he completed his medical training in 1995.
Dr. Spentzas started his practice at Babies Hospital of NYC and he served as Critical Care Medical Director at St Marys Medical Center in Evansville, Indiana and in Swedish American Medical Center in Rockford,Illinois. He joined the Pediatric Critical Care Faculty at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center in 2004. In parallel with the clinical critical care duties, Dr. Spentzas is faculty of the Master in Epidemiology program at the University of Tennessee. He is teaching the BIOE 811 R Software in Medical Research course. He is involved with numerous epidemiology studies in his Epidemiology Laboratory. He is also participating in bench research in macrophage sepsis model in the Infectious Disease laboratory.
- Spentzas T, Henricksen J, Patters A, Chaum E. Correlation of Intraocular Pressure with Intracranial Pressure in Children with Severe Head Injury" J Pediatr Crit Care Med ,2010 , 11(5):593-8. PMID: 20081553
- Spentzas T, Escue J E, Patters A, Varelas P Brain tumor resection in children: Neuro ICU course and resource utilization., Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2010 Nov;11(6):718-22. PMID: 20308930
- Shah S, Yeung C, Spentzas T. Impact of Environmental Tobacco Smoke induced Status Asthmaticus in Pediatric Intensive Care Unit. J of Ped Pulmonology,: Early view: 20 OCT 2010 | DOI: 10.1002/ppul.21355
- Spentzas T, Shapley RK, Aguirre CA, Meals E, Lazar L, Rayburn MS, Walker BS, English BK. Ketamine inhibits tumor necrosis factor secretion by RAW264.7 murine macrophages stimulated with antibiotic-exposed strains of community-associated, methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. BMC Immunol. 2011, 25;12:11
- Anand SJK, Eubanks WJ, Kelly DK, Meier WJ, Saltzman AJ, Crisler CS, Kraus JG, Spentzas T, Chesney WR, Pediatric Patients seen in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2010 Dec;49(12):1147-52.
- Boston US, Goldberg SP, Ward KE, Overholt ED, Spentzas T, Chin TK, Knott-Craig CJ. Complete repair of Ebstein anomaly in neonates and young infants: A 16-year follow-up. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2011;141(5):1163-9.
- Spentzas T, Kudumula R, Acuna C, Talati AJ, Ingram KC, Savorgnan F, Meals EA, English BK. Role of bacterial components in macrophage activation by the LAC and MW2 strains of community-associated, methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Cell Immunol. 2011;269(1):46-53.
- Chan SY, Figueroa M, Spentzas T, Powell A, Holloway R, Shah S. Prospective Assessment of Novice Learners in a Simulation-Based Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO) Education Program. Pediatr Cardiol. 2013 Mar;34(3):543-52.doi:10.1007/s00246-012-0490-6. Epub 2012 Aug 26.PMID :22923030
- Spentzas T, Shappley KHR, Savorgnan F, Meals E, English KB. Rapamycin Augments the NMDA-Mediated TNF Suppression of MRSA-Stimulated RAW264.7 Murine Macrophages. Int J Inflam. 2012;2012:542727. doi: 10.1155/2012/542727. Epub 2012 Oct 10.PIMD:23094196
- Nievas IFF, Spentzas T, Bogue WC. SNAP IITM Index: An Alternative to the COMFORT Scale in Assessing the Level of Sedation in Mechanically Ventilated Pediatric Patients Journal of Intensive. http://jic.sagepub.com/content/early/2013/02/04/0885066613475422.full
- Spentzas T, Minarik M, Patters AB, Vinson B, Stidham G. "Children with respiratory distress treated with high-flow nasal cannula" J Intensive Care Med. 2009, 24(5):323-8
- Spentzas T, Auth M, Hess P, Minaric M, Storgion S, Stidham G. "Natural course following Pediatric Tracheostomy". J Intensive Care Med. 2010, 25(1):39-45.PMID: 20095079
- Spentzas T, Henricksen J, Patters A, Chaum E. "Correlation of Intraocular Pressure with Intracranial Pressure in Children with Severe Head Injury" J Pediatr Crit Care Med , 2010 (Available ahead of publication). PMID: 20081553 4.
- Spentzas T, Escue J E, Patters A, Varelas P "Brain tumor resection in children: Neuro ICU course and resource utilization" J Pediatr Crit Care Med, 2010 (available ahead of publication). PMID: 20308930
Department of Pediatrics
Critical Care Division
LeBonheur Children's Hospital
50 N Dunlap, 3rd Floor
Memphis, TN 38103