Dr. Mark Bugnitz, Professor of Pediatrics
The Department of Pediatrics and the Division of Critical Care Medicine are proud to announce that Dr. Mark Bugnitz is the recipient of the Department of Pediatrics 2014 Faculty Award for Excellence in Teaching. Nominations were invited from the Pediatric Department’s faculty, trainees and Division Chiefs. The criteria for the award included innovation in teaching style, resident/student collective opinion, invited professorships, involvement in multiple teaching activities, and implementation of programs to improve educational experiences for faculty and trainees.
Dr. Bugnitz received his medical degree from the University of Missouri at Columbia, then completed Pediatric Residency training at St. Louis University Hospital and Pediatric Critical Care Fellowship training at Denver Childrens Hospital, Colorado. He is Board Certified in Pediatrics and Pediatric Critical Care Medicine. Dr. Bugnitz has been a faculty member at University of Tennessee Health Science Center for the past 22 years and served as Medical Director of the ECMO program for 15 years. He currently serves as Vice-Chair for Clinical Affairs and is the Program Director for the Pediatric Residency Program. Dr. Bugnitz has been Chair of the Southeast Region Association of Pediatric Program Directors since 2007. His clinical and research emphasis remains on pediatric respiratory failure and the use of ECMO support in children.
- Elbahlawan, LM, Stidham GS, Bugnitz MC, Storgion SA, Quasney MW. Severe systemic reaction to Loxosceles Recluse spider bites in a pediatric population. Pediatric Emergency Care, 2005; 21(3):177-80.
- Hak EB, Crill CM, Bugnitz MC, Mouser JF, Chesney RW. Dysregulation of vitamin D endocrine system during neonatal extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. Intensive Care Medicine 2005; 31(2):264-70.
- Crill CM, Bugnitz MC, Hak EB. Evaluation of gastric pH and guaiac measurements in neonates receiving acid suppression therapy during extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. Pharmacotherapy 2004; 24(9):1130-6.
- Bryowsky JJ, Bugnitz MC, Hak EB. Pamidronate treatment for hypercalcemia in an infant receiving parenteral nutrition. Pharmacotherapy. 2004; 24(7):939-44.
- Leggiadro RJ, Bugnitz MC, Peck BA, Luedtke GS, Kim MH, Kaplan EL, Schlievert PM. Group A streptococcal bacteremia in a mid-south children's hospital. South Med J. 1993; 86(6):615-8.
- Leggiadro RJ, Luedtke GS, Anderson MS, Storgion SA, Bugnitz MC, Barrett FF. Persistent, unusual gram-negative bacteremia associated with arterial pressure monitoring in a pediatric intensive care unit. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1992; 13(9):556-8.
- Tamburro RF, Bugnitz MC, Stidham GL. Alveolar-arterial oxygen gradient as a predictor of outcome in patients with nonneonatal pediatric respiratory failure. J Pediatr. 1991; 119(6):935-8
Department of Pediatrics
Critical Care Division
Le Bonheur Children's Hospital
50 N Dunlap, 3rd Floor
Memphis, TN 38103