Residency Training Appointments
Three or four residents are accepted each year for a total of 12-16 residents in the first four years of training. Fellowships in dermatopathology, anatomic pathology, hematopathology, and pediatric pathology are available. Other fellowships are under active consideration.
The University of Tennessee Health Science Center is one of the largest facilities in the country. Within the medical center, rotations are taken at
- UT Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
- Baptist Memorial Hospital
- Trumbull Laboratory - Pathology Group of the Mid South
- The Regional Medical Center (MED)
- The Veterans' Affairs Medical Center (VAMC)
- St. Jude Children's Research Hospital (the world's leading children's cancer center)
- Memphis Pathology Laboratory (MPL)
- LeBonheur Children's Medical Center
- GI Pathology Partners
- Methodist University Hospital
- Duckworth Pathology Group
Approximate numbers of autopsies and specimens are: 200 hospital autopsies, 500 forensic autopsies, 250,000 surgical pathology cases, 6,000 frozen sections, 400,000 cytopathology specimens, 500 bone marrows and 10,000,000 clinical laboratory determinations. Facilities available are complete in every detail, including a library of 183,000 volumes with 1,325 current subscriptions to scientific journals, a comprehensive medical illustration service, computer centers and medical instrumentation division.Within the pathology department, there are many well equipped research laboratories and a variety of core laboratory facilities.
Stipends and Benefits
First year residents receive approximately $43,260 with a $1,545 dollar increase each year thereafter. All residents are provided with subsidized hospitalization, life and disability insurance, liability protection, and parking. The program also provides time off for courses to prepare for board examinations and some financial assistance in the purchase of books.
Nadeem Zafar, MD
930 Madison Avenue, 5th Floor
Memphis, TN 38163
Email: nzafar@uthsc. edu