Student Clerkship Objectives
The specialty of obstetrics and gynecology is dynamic growing, changing and evolving in response to patient population needs, treatment modalities, economic influences and political/legislative concerns. The Ob-Gyn is not only the physician for the reproductive needs of patients but often the sole provider of primary and preventive care needs of women. During this clerkship we will provide you with a foundation of knowledge and skills to manage the health care needs of women.
I. Clinical Skills
Acquire the basic knowledge and skills in obstetrics and gynecology required of all primary care physicians.
- Take an ob/gyn history.
- Be familiar with screening recommendations for primary care of female patients including prenatal care, Pap smear screening, contraceptive management, menopause, etc.
- Perform an adequate pelvic examination and Pap smear.
- Diagnose and treat common ob/gyn problems.
- Know when to obtain and ob/gyn consultation.
- Understand the interface between ob/gyn and other clinical disciplines.
- Obtain experience in managing pregnancy.
II. Behavioral Standards
Develop professional behavior and the skills necessary to communicate with patients and other health care workers effectively.
- Respect and protect the bond of trust and the confidentiality between physician and patient.
- Not levy judgment on patients in the course of evaluating and managing their medical problems.
- Be sensitive to the cultural, religious and socioeconomic issues that impact the patients experience of health and illness.
- Appreciate the patient as an equal partner in medical decision-making.
- Understand and respect the interdependence of all members of the health care team.
III. Professional Development
Cultivate intellectual and scientific enthusiasm for ob/gyn and provide appropriate exposure to ob/gyn practice allowing students to make informed career specialty choices.
Obstetrics and Gynecology Clerkship Program
853 Jefferson Avenue, Rm E102
Memphis, TN 38163