Public Health Nursing
The College of Nursing is not accepting new applicants into this option at this time.
- 1st Annual Public Health Nursing Conference "Addressing Health Disparities"
- 2nd Annual Public Health Nursing Conference "Public Health Nursing with Disadvantaged Populations"
- 3rd Annual PHN Conference
- 4th Annual PHN Conference
- Continuing Education Credits
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Interest Form for Prospective Students
Dr. Patricia Speck (center) with 2011 Public Health Nursing Graduates
Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) in Public Health Nursing
The Doctor of Nursing Practice in the Public Health Nursing (PHN) Option is focused on health of populations. The "patients" in PHN are not individuals, but represent groups in a population-defined area that may be located in rural or urban communities, in towns and cities, states or nations; they may be aggregates within communities, special groups within populations or populations with issues that affect health in the entire global community. We build on the established public health foundations and intertwine a nursing perspective to meet the vision and mission in the UTHSC College of Nursing. The education in PHN prepares leaders to be knowledgeable about: 1) major health issues in populations; 2) various public health approaches to reduce injury and improve health; and 3) key strategies to maintain and improve population health and safety at all levels.
Public Health Nursing Application Instructions
The 2013 DNP Public Health Application Cycle is currently closed.
This application is for DNP Public Health Nursing Applicants only.
- Complete the brief paper application.
- Acquire an official copy of ALL higher education transcripts—DO NOT open the envelopes!
- Send a copy of the Recommendation Form to three persons who know you well enough to evaluate your ability for successful completion of your program of interest. Two (2) references should be from former professors and one (1) should be from a current or recent supervisor/mentor. In your cover letter, request that they return their completed evaluation to YOU. Your recommender(s) must sign the back of their sealed envelope.
- Photocopy all your nursing licenses and any other certifications.
- Place all of the above documents in one (1) large envelope. Send envelope to:
UTHSC College of Nursing
920 Madison Avenue, Suite 1020
Memphis, TN 38163
Attention: Ms. Roylynn Germain
You will be contacted and given further instruction regarding your application within (1) week from the receipt of your documents.
Patricia M. Speck, DNSc, APN, FNP-BC, DF-IAFN, FAAFS, FAAN
Associate Professor and Public Health Option Coordinator
Department of Advanced Practice and Doctoral Studies
920 Madison, #954
Memphis, TN 38163