AG-ACNP Certificate Program
The Adult Gerontology - Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (AG-ACNP) certificate program prepares advanced practice nurses (APNs) with the skills and competencies needed to provide patient-centered care to adults across the lifespan who are physiologically unstable, technologically dependent, or highly vulnerable to complications, and require frequent monitoring and intervention. Didactic and clinical practicums prepare the graduate to provide a full-spectrum of care ranging from disease prevention to acute and critical care management and palliative care, with consideration to the developmental, life-stage needs of adults across the age spectrum.
A gap analysis will be performed to determine if the applicants’ previous Advanced Pharmacology, Advanced Pathology/Pathophysiology, and Advanced Health Assessment courses meet requirements to sit for the AG-ACNP certification exam. The Advanced Pharmacology course must include content consistent with the AG-ACNP certification test plan and have been completed within 5 years of the date the individual plans to sit for the AG-ACNP certification program. Applicants with deficiencies may complete a graduate level Advanced Pharmacology course from any accredited advanced practice nursing program prior to enrolling in the AG-ACNP certificate program at UTHSC College of Nursing as a special status student.
The graduate will be able to:
- Synthesize nursing and other scientific knowledge, with contemporary clinical knowledge, for the assessment and management of health and illness states of adult-gerontology patients.
- Demonstrate advanced levels of nursing practice including health promotion, health protection, disease prevention, treatment, and referrals for the acute, critical, and chronically ill or injured patient.
- Engage in advocacy, modeling and teaching to advance health outcomes of complex acute, critical, or chronically ill patients.
- Develop collaborative professional relationships.
- Provides leadership for the delivery of clinical services within an integrated system of health care.
- Analyzes practice outcomes to foster quality healthcare practices and improve patient outcomes.
- Integrate professional values and ethical decision-making in advanced nursing practice.
Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Certificate Program
Donna Lynch-Smith, DNP, ACNP-BC, APN, NE-BC, CNL
Assistant Professor and Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Concentration Coordinator
Department of Advanced Practice and Doctoral Studies
UTHSC College of Nursing
920 Madison Avenue, #948
Memphis, TN 38163
Phone: (901) 448-4152