Steven J. Tavalin, Ph.D.
Department of Pharmacology
The University of Tennessee Health Science Center
2105 Crowe Research Building
874 Union Avenue
Memphis, TN 38163
Phone: (901) 448-3007
Email: Steven J. Tavalin
- Ph.D. Institution: Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA
- Postdoctoral: Vollum Institute, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, OR
How do neurons modify their behavior in response to patterns of activity? To address this question my research employs a combination of biochemical, and electrophysiological techniques. Specifically, I am interested in understanding the mechanisms by which intracellular signalling enzymes are directed towards ion channels to allow modulation of channel activity and its impact on excitatory transmission and neuronal excitability.
- Chowdhury D, Marco S, Brooks IM, Zandueta A, Rao Y, Haucke V, Wesseling JF, Tavalin SJ, PĆ©rez-OtaĆ±o I. Tyrosine phosphorylation regulates the endocytosis and surface expression of GluN3A-containing NMDA receptors. J Neurosci. 2013 Feb 27;33(9):4151-64. doi: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.2721-12.2013. PubMed PMID: 23447623.
- Le AV, Tavalin SJ, Dodge-Kafka KL. Identification of AKAP79 as a protein phosphatase 1 catalytic binding protein. Biochemistry. 2011 Jun 14;50(23):5279-91. doi: 10.1021/bi200089z. Epub 2011 May 16. PubMed PMID: 21561082; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3115558.
- Brooks IM, Tavalin SJ. Ca2+/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II inhibitors disrupt AKAP79-dependent PKC signaling to GluA1 AMPA receptors. J Biol Chem. 2011 Feb 25;286(8):6697-706. doi: 10.1074/jbc.M110.183558. Epub 2010 Dec 14. PubMed PMID: 21156788; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3057809.
- Nikandrova YA, Jiao Y, Baucum AJ, Tavalin SJ, Colbran RJ. Ca2+/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II binds to and phosphorylates a specific SAP97 splice variant to disrupt association with AKAP79/150 and modulate alpha-amino-3-hydroxy-5-methyl-4-isoxazolepropionic acid-type glutamate receptor (AMPAR) activity. J Biol Chem. 2010 Jan 8;285(2):923-34. doi: 10.1074/jbc.M109.033985. Epub 2009 Oct 26. PubMed PMID: 19858198; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2801293.
- Liang Y, Tavalin SJ. Auxiliary beta subunits differentially determine pka utilization of distinct regulatory sites on Cav1.3 L type Ca2+ channels. Channels (Austin). 2007 Mar-Apr;1(2):102-12. Epub 2007 Apr 12. PubMed PMID: 18690020.
- Tavalin SJ. AKAP79 selectively enhances protein kinase C regulation of GluR1 at a Ca2+-calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II/protein kinase C site. J Biol Chem. 2008 Apr 25;283(17):11445-52. doi: 10.1074/jbc.M709253200. Epub 2008 Feb 27. PubMed PMID: 18305116; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2431053.