Paul Herron, Ph.D
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology
The University of Tennessee Health Science Center
855 Monroe Avenue, Suite 515
Memphis, TN 38163
Phone: (901) 448-5824
Fax: (901) 448-7193
Lab: 228 Wittenborg Anatomy
Email: Paul Herron
- Ph.D. Institution: Michigan State University
- Postdoctoral: University of New South Wales, College of Medicine, Department of Anatomy and Physiology, Sydney, Australia; McGill University, College of Medicine, Departments of Physiology and Neurosurgery, Montreal, Quebec
Professional Certification & Licensing
Clinical Subspecialty Expertise
The research emphasis in my laboratory is to understand how cholinergic inputs from the basal forebrain impact cortical functioning. Particularly, this research seeks to understand how the loss of acetylcholine inputs effects the responsiveness of neurons in the primary somatosensory cortex to tactile stimulation and the ability of the somatosensory cortex to undergo experience-dependent plasticity. This research utilizes neurophysiological, neuroanatomical, and immunocytochemical techniques to assess these effects. Results suggest that, when acetylcholine inputs are removed, the responsiveness of cortical neurons is reduced and the ability of the cortex to undergo plasticity as a result of experience is also significantly reduced.
- Herron P, Schweitzer JB. Effects of cholinergic depletion on neural activity in different laminae of the rat barrel cortex. Brain Res. 2000 Jul 28;872(1-2):71-6. PubMed PMID: 10924677.
- Thompson JW, Chesney RW, Stocks RM, Shmerling J, Herron P. Pediatric hospitals' and physician strategies for the 21st century. Clin Pediatr (Phila). 1999 May;38(5):259-63. PubMed PMID: 10349522.
- Herron P, Li Z, Schweitzer JB. Effects of cholinergic depletion on evoked activity in the cortex of young and aged rats. Int J Dev Neurosci. 1998 Nov-Dec;16(7-8):633-43. PubMed PMID: 10198812.
- Herron P, Baskerville KA, Chang HT, Doetsch GS. Distribution of neurons immunoreactive for parvalbumin and calbindin in the somatosensory thalamus of the raccoon. J Comp Neurol. 1997 Nov 10;388(1):120-9. PubMed PMID: 9364242.
- Baskerville KA, Schweitzer JB, Herron P. Effects of cholinergic depletion on experience-dependent plasticity in the cortex of the rat. Neuroscience. 1997 Oct;80(4):1159-69. PubMed PMID: 9284068.
- Herron P, Zhang L, Li Z, Schweitzer JB. Effects of cholinergic depletion on glutamic acid decarboxylase immunoreactivity in the somatosensory cortex of rats. Anat Embryol (Berl). 1997 Jul;196(1):27-38. PubMed PMID: 9242886.